Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Results of Cooking

I rarely like food in restaurants
Because of this
yesterday my kitchen was a mess.

I picked up ribs from the local market.
When I was out of my car the scent of grilling was so enticing

Bought 2 slabs, one to freeze and one to eat on several days.
Was hoping to see my Beth this weekend
but daily rain and no one wants to drive to the country, on the interstate in the rain.

Rain yesterday, today and some due daily for a week.

Arriving home I began, by memory, making Texas Baked beans.  Used 1/3 of the ground meat
as this was a portion of the original recipe.   Meat browning and started adding chopped tomato, chopped onion, celery,
green pepper, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, mustard and medium can of baked beans.
Simmered in old cast iron skillet for over an hour.
The smell while it is simmering is wonderful.

Then since I like my Cole slaw the best but can no longer hold a 1/2 head of cabbage and use the old fashion grater (like my mother did until 80) I used my small 4 cup work bowl from Cuisinart.
1/4 head of green cabbage, small portion of red cabbage, some onion, carrot and green pepper, a few red radishes
salt and pepper.
When chopped. like my mother did added - a little sugar and tossed with a little mayo.

Kitchen a mess - but worth it
My sweet tea made and corn bread would have made it perfect - but too tired to make.

Now fresh Peaches and Apples on my counter and want to make a small apple cake a friend shared with me
and a simple Peach pie that she made.  Fresh peaches sliced in precooked pie shell  (she made her crust) and cover
with peach jello that had been prepared with 1cup of sugar and 1 cup of boiling water.
It was so good.
You can add whip cream or ice cream..

Hoping
Beth can visit her mom on 4th of July
if no rain....

Jamie sent a picture of flower arrangement she made - posted on instagram - could not copy
but my Jamie, you could do this as a business :)  Hoping her poison ivy is better :(

Laurie called
home  to Tampa from N.Y. 3:00 in the morning, oh my - rest my child....

Jimmy, wish you were here...



12 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! Everything sounds SO tasty - especially that peach pie! I'm going to remember THAT one...

Rebecca said...

Wait. You mean you don't back the pie then - just refrigerate it until set?

Marcie said...

I love to hear about when you cook delicious things for yourself. We need to remember to treat ourselves the same way we do our loved ones. Your coleslaw sounds wonderful to me!

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

Rebecca, that,s right - do not cook the peaches.
the piece she brought me - so good
Marcie :)

Wisewebwoman said...

My I always want to pull ups chair and tuck in my napkin at your table. Will remember your coleslaw recipe. Delish. Well all of your meals are.

XO
WWW

Tabor said...

I have to stop reading your blog as I am putting on too much weight!

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

Tabor, I am trying so hard to gain 5 lbs - not happening :)

joared said...

I, too, would succumb to the enticing aromas of ribs being grilled outside one of my grocery stores preliminary to certain holidays for a couple years. Then, they stopped last year and sell them frozen in the store now. I don't buy them. Somehow it's not the same, though I suppose they're good.

MsGraysra said...

What a delicious meal!! Through the years I have enjoyed and saved so many of your wonderful recipes. The cornbread is a fave.

Happy 4th....it will be a very quiet day for me. Lou is away in Wellfleet working the whole day, and I am at home at my sons house. Going to try to write a blog post after so many months.

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

Marcia, thank you
miss your writing, please soon return.
I must write
cannot seem to stop :)

Sky said...

Yummm! Sounds like you are doing better. Hope you continue to improve. Happy 4th.

Have you ever added broken pieces of crispy sliced bacon and small slices of Little Smokies to the beans/meat mix to cook in the cast iron skillet? I learned this from a friend 25 years ago. It is delicious. We add bbq sauce, brown sugar, and a few diced slices of fresh jalapenos, too, for those who can stand the heat!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, thank you for the tip...