Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Words

I have always loved words and in years past would sit with the dictionary or Thesaurus
and read like a novel, did the same with cookbooks.
A memory surfaced this afternoon as I picked up my aging Thesaurus, inside written
1980 from Jimmy.  It was a year he did not have the money to buy his mama a Christmas present
and he gave me this book, one I used often and it was his book.  He may not even remember doing this 35 years ago...
Earlier today
I put these words in my notebook

"Stepping into evening is the best way to Praise the day"     Dawes...
found visiting "Letters from a Hill Farm"
and another new word "kindfulness" may we all practice towards one another....
from www.

Simple fare, wanted to make corn bread but should have at dawn as it was too hot his afternoon
to turn on oven.  I will make it early in the morning and have with leftovers.
Cooked fresh turnip greens, black eyed peas and a hard boiled egg.   Simple but healthy.

7 comments:

Barb said...

I, too, love words and think your son gave you a gift long-ago that has served you well. Corn bread - yum. Not so hot here, though it has warmed into 70's.

Sky said...

Yummmm @ that gorgeous food. I bet you could prepare and bake your cornbread in the hot sun! :) We are expecting 91 degrees here Saturday afternoon. It will drop back into the 80s by Monday, however. I prefer high 70s and low 80s which are perfect amidst the huge conifers and breezes off the Sound.

I, too, love my Thesaurus. Mine was purchased in 1964. It accompanied me through senior high, college, and all my adulthood so far! I am surprised the binding still holds.

Wisewebwoman said...

I should just pack up and come live with you, what lovely food. what a beautiful gift from your son, isn't it truly wonderful that those treasures are the most important of all?

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Barb and Sky, :)
and WWW, I think we are much alike and yes treasures like this book and the memories are priceless. Feel better wishes to you...

Tabor said...

A gift of ones own and then also a gift of words. How special is that bookk? More special than its pages and its cover. I hope he remembers the gestures importance and teaches it to others.

Anvilcloud said...

Words are fun. Too bad I can never seem to remember new ones (to me) even after looking them up.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, you are so right and he wrote and said he did not remember.
Mother's remember the good and the bad from my 4 :)
He was in his 20's and a special friend had died mysteriously
might be part of the memory.
AV - always learning new words - just like doing it...