Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, May 12, 2014

The Best Of My Life

I read these words  and they are so true for this one.
My children and grandchildren
are a gift to this one.
The precious jewels of my life....

I do not like to pick my flowers
but this peony is special.
Special because it was in a neighbors yard
that adjoined my yard.  He had lost his wife
and I would listen to him continually as he shared
bits and pieces of his life.  He needed someone to
listen and in a way felt special because he felt
free to share with me.  After he passed away I asked
his daughter inlaw if I could have a piece of this plant.
She said yes and it has thrived
"Polly thank you."
Most of the plants in my garden bring about memories
of special people who are no longer on this earth.
They have been moved from garden to garden at
different homes during my lifetime...

Along with a few iris, put in a small vase
and put by my plate.
A new project to begin
in the morning.
Too hot at the moment
with temperature hovering around 90 degrees.
Picked up 3 bales of straw to plant some squash plants
and a cucumber plant for this simple gardening project.
Remember many years ago planting a no till garden.
I have started a number of vegetables in pots - which  are doing well and
now will try this method for a few more plants.
No weeding, tilling and hope it works.

Mike, thank you for giving me the straw bales
even though I offered to buy them :)

13 comments:

Friko said...

There you are, happy and contented in your little haven in the woods. Creating a garden and making memories.

Stay well and enjoy all you do.

Friko said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Friko, thank you.. Yes, happy and contented, being careful I do not fall :) and stay busy and sleep well at night if I do a lot of physical work:) You - take care...

Tabor said...

You are always trying something new. I have seen these bale gardens working well and they certainly are not as hard as raised beds. I love the idea of getting a bit of a plant from someone you remember.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, was not going to try any new garden projects.
But - wanting a few more vegetables for my plate - remembered this and if it works
it looks very easy...

Balisha said...

I have those tomato plants to put in pots. I'm a little afraid of doing it yet....we just may have a freeze.
I'm interested in your new project. I've never heard of this....please tell us as you plant how it works.
I have, what I call, a memory garden. Snips and shoots from friends and neighbors.I love this idea and think of so many... while I garden.
Have a nice evening.
Balisha

lil red hen said...

You sound very happy and content this evening. I'd like to know more about the straw garden also.

I have one peony bloom. My old plant was on this place when we bought it in 1972. It doesn't always bloom or either the buds freeze. I think it needs to be divided since the one bloom is on a piece I accidentally uprooted a couple of years ago and then planted it.

Rest well tonight ~ we're having rain ~ good sounds for sleeping.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, sure not going to freeze here. So warm and calling for every day this week.
Google - gardening with straw bales. A lot of interesting images...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Charlotte, meant to include your name :)

Wisewebwoman said...

I love the story of the neighbour and the peony and think there is a novel in there somewhere :)

Strawbale gardening. I am dying to see the pics of this :)

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

WWW, :)

Anonymous said...

You have been a good neighbor for him to share things with you.
And you are making yourself busy in developing your garden.

Judy said...


I have perennials like that--from Grandma and Mother's gardens.

I have heard of planting in straw bales--can't wait to see how it does.