Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Changing

Planned on a quick trip to local small town before dropping temperature and snow predicted
for afternoon.    But it seems that several hours ago huge snow flakes began falling.
My birds in a frenzy as they empty the feeders, so I am bundling up and going outside
 to make sure they have
seeds for the next few days of frigid weather arriving.


Morning breakfast a little different over the last several months as I begin first thing this morning drinking a juice glass of Kefir.  It is really tasty and a probiotic.
Started with this and about 30 minutes later chopped apple, banana, apricot, raisins covered with
yogurt and flax seeds and my almost morning ritual of 3 cups of green tea.
I rotate to fruit with oates and then fruit with scrambled egg and slice of bacon.

Trying very hard to eat properly with most mornings of yoga and try to go at a slower pace.
   It has become very apparent
that I can no longer walk miles a day, vist my woods often,  garden nonstop for hours, wash car and truck
and many other things that have always been done by this one.   Really have not given up much
but doing less of most and at a slower pace.
In all truth - I never thought these would have to be given up - how unrealistic this one is.

I like my new doctor and I smiled as she made the comment to me "you are very determined
and you need to accept what is happening at this time of life and go at a slower pace."
 the thought came to mind that I am a new patient and she seemed to describe
me perfectly.....

So as I share with my family and friends far and near
trying to change and enjoy some more quality years as this aging process that I do not like
continues onward....

Plan on writing less as it seems my mind is almost empty at the moment, want to be on the
computer less as it sure is addictive and hours can fly by without you hardly even knowing it.
I promise not to just disappear like some I have become attached to have done.
But do not want my sharing to focuse on health and aging.

 Trying to be still more, think less, meditate more and continue to realize
that with all the ups and downs of my driven lifestyles  that if I could have
much would have been changed but I did all that was in my power with the
knowledge that I possessed at that time of life.
 What is apparent at this moment is I have wonderful
children, grandchildren and I have so many blessings and need to focus on this.

Guess the best one at the moment is I am reasonably healthy, of sound mind and was
allowed to return to an area that in my heart I could never entirely leave and was allowed to  build this small home surrounded by nature....

Also new neighbors from a farm in Kentucky have moved into home on adjoining property.
This home was one I built after selling the old farm house.  In a few years I sold it
thinking I would not return to the country. It was sold to a  lady who is a retired professor and
she has returned
to her home place in Rhode Island.

  Looking out the window New Years Eve
I spotted 6 horses and a donkey :)  part of my new neighbors family.   Also some cats
and dogs met me as I approached the front door to introduce myself and give them my
phone number in case I could help them in any way....
This will thrill my young granddaughter's when they visit.


Enough shared on this cold and snowy morning
where plans for the day continue to change/

Also as plans are underway for my first granddaughter's Spring wedding
I smile and my heart is warmed....

14 comments:

Lonely Rivers said...

Even as you slow down, I must rush to keep up with all you do! I know it is hard to let go of some aspects of your energetic and independent lifestyle...facing reality can be jarring, but please don't stop writing your truths. You have guided me almost daily through my own process, inspired me with your determination, discipline and spiritual practice. Your honest and vulnerable musings in this journal have helped me know that I am not alone or even unique in the fact that my years are catching up with me. You matter.

My all time favorite movie/book line (from The Help):
"You is smart, you is kind, you is...important!"

Lonely Rivers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

LR, you are so kind, as I "dust"
I have the thought
just delete what you shared.
Then I think
I will put on some upbeat music
and dance :)

Tabor said...

There is always change and you may change back to have more energy in the spring. Always keep up hope. YOur pace slowing is more like NORMAL for many. So, do not dismay and so glad you are making friends with the new neighbors, maybe invite them over for sweets and tea in the spring?

Marcie said...

Lovely post. We all need to slow down and savor each moment. Thank you for the reminder.

Balisha said...

The world needs to slow down.
Sharing your life with us... helps in ways you might never expect. Sometimes a person can radiate serenity and that is what you do...by sharing your feelings in your online journal.If you touch just one person...it is worth it.We of a certain age need to stick together.
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

LM, on the clothes pins - I use them daily to fasten bags :)
You gave me an idea to give them as shower gifts. Bet my granddaughter who lives in NY and soon to be married may not know what they are.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, Aisling and Balisha, thank you for your words..

Blondie's Journal said...

From reading your blog over the past few months, I can't imagine you slowing down. And selfishly, I would hate to see you write less as you are such an inspiration. And your pictures of where you live and your pretty garden are just beautiful. Do what you can, do what you want. Most of all, do what makes you happy!

XO,
Jane

Sky said...

how exciting to have thoughts of a wedding! will you be traveling for this or will it be near you? developing a slower pace is not a bad thing. it gives us time to enjoy the moment more deliciously if we are not running to and fro in busy-ness. i smiled as i read your post, thinking how much healthier you sound in the practice you describe. in terms of sharing, no matter what you share about aging and health, you are paving the way for others, educating, sharing experiences that others will have if they aren't already. it is all important - everything we share. i hope you give yourself credit for the ways you may influence another's life and/or teach through your own footsteps. your young grandchildren will find themselves traveling down the "aging road" - what better gift from you in their later years than a post about your own experiences which may teach them something about their path? :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

jane, thank you and visit again :)
Sky, wedding in the suburb of N.Y.
To busy for me
but have to go...

Sharon said...

I like the saying "Change is the only constant" - it really is the only thing we can count on. What you share is from the heart, and that's always a good thing.

Beverly said...

Glad you have made the decision to slow your pace some....now to see if you actually do!!! The snow is so pretty and I wish it would snow here, of course, that is because I do not have to be out in it!!! Love you....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon and Beverly
thank you for visiting :)