Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Afternoon With Mary Oliver

A rainy beginning and then sun and very cool.
Shut all the outdoor vents.
First frost expected in the morning.
Spent some time going through my Mary Oliver books.
They number 12 and each one is special.
They almost look ragged with all the little papers
that mark some of  my favorite poems.


"Another morning and I wake with thirst
for the goodness I do not have.  I walk
out to the pond and all the way God has
given us such beautiful lessons, Oh Lord,
I was never a quick scholar but sulked
and hunched over the books past the
hour and the bell; grant me, in your mercy,
a little more time.  Love for the earth
and love for you are having such a long conversation
in my heart.
Who knows what will finally happen, or where I will
be sent, yet already I have given a great many
things away, expecting to be told to pack nothing,
except the prayers, which, with this thirst,
I am slowly learning"

Thirst ~~~ Mary Oliver~~~

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Thank you for posting this Mary Oliver poem, one that is not in my two volumes of her "new and selected poems." I did a search and found her book by the same name. I did not realize her partner had died....There have been so many losses this year in the lives of people I know. This particular poem speaks to that....

Wisewebwoman said...

Thank you Ernestine. I needed to read that after the death of a dear one today.

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

WWW, so sorry, love you, E.
Sharon and Charlette, :)

Marcie said...

I love Mary Oliver. Only have one of her books, though. What a lovely way to spend time. Love the poem you shared.

Marcie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Val said...

I love Mary Oliver's work. It doesn't surprise me that you do too. ♥

Laura said...

"expecting to be told to pack nothing,
except the prayers, which, with this thirst,
I am slowly learning" so beautiful.

mermaid said...

I haven't read this one. Reminds of the power of prayer and intention.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mermaid, Laura, Val and Aisling,
thank you for your words...

thewiildmagnola said...

first time to be blessed with hearing these Mary Oliver words.

thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a powerful one. I love seeing your Mary Oliver posts!