Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, July 26, 2013

What Did I See

Morning at 65 degrees
felt wonderful and almost like Fall.

Soybeans are beginning to surface
Small garden looks healthy
I have always wanted 4 O'clocks and for some reason seeds never emerged
a new garden friend shared two small plants and they made it.   I have memories of my
grandmother and aunts having this old fashion plant...

Most of garden finished blooming, Phlox continue their beauty and the Spider Lily
is always faithful in arriving wherever its seeds land.
Cyprus vine is doing fine and like the Spider Lily just comes up in unexpected places.
 Tiger Lily is always beautiful and always unexpected creations under the trees
in the woods...

Scenes from an early morning country garden
Nothing spectular but I find pleasure in these simple plants.

As the morning continued there were appointments in local small town and market stop.

As always such a pleasure to return home....

13 comments:

Balisha said...

If you let the four o'clocks drop their seeds...you will have four o'clocks forever.
Love seeing what is blooming at Woodhaven.
Balisha

lil red hen said...

Balisha is right; my four o'clocks always come back and they've almost become a jungle of plants.

My mama had a Cyprus vine growing around her entry porch. Thanks for sharing this plant!

Tabor said...

My 4 o'clocks keep coming back but they grow behind the lilies and hard to see.

Friko said...

I agree, it is a great pleasure to return home after a day away, particularly when one can return to such treasures as these.

What is a ‘four o’clock plant’?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, Charlotte, Tabor,
thank you for visiting the country.
Friko, 4 Oclocks - just an old fashion perrenial that reseeds and returns each year. Blooms open once a day for a short time :)

Sky said...

garden glory! so beautiful. wish i could find some 4 o'clock seeds...must look for some online since i have never seen the plants here.

Ugich Konitari said...

You mentioned those "old fashioned plants" with those yellow and dark pink flowers , and we have them here too. As little girls we would pluck them , hold them in our frocks in our laps as we sat crosslegged in the garden, and braid them (starting with 3, and then adding a flower each time) and then wear them in our hair. ....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, if mine were not just starting I would send you some seeds. Hopefully they come up next year.
Ugich, so good to hear from you
and you are so far away :)

mel said...

You have created such peace and beauty.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mel, thank you
and as time goes by
this is where I want to stay...

kerrdelune said...

Such a beautiful garden.... I remember my grandmother loving four o'clocks and them seeding themselves everywhere in the garden for years after she first planted them. The other name for them (I think) is Marvel of Peru.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Cate, I never heard of that name.
Like I have shared before
"I always learn from you."
Take care
and enjoy this day...

Sky said...

It would be so special for me to have something in our garden that came from your beautiful garden. Maybe next year if they return and are thriving. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)