Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Different Then I Imagined

Much I did not know about the procedure that I experienced yesterday.
All I had ever been told is "cataract surgery is a simple procedure."

Sitting in hospital examining room I was brought a hospital gown
and told to put it on.  Blood pressure check and mine is always elevated
in a hospital or under stress.  Little items placed on your body in case
heart monitor is needed, Iv inserted for medication, anesthesiologist talks to me,
hospital bed rolled in and I go into surgery.

Procedure only about 25 minutes, totally aware, no pain or discomfort, eye
made immobile by something placed around eye, continual flashing colored lights
as procedure is in process.

Afterwards preparing to go home there was no pain, swelling or bruising.
There are 3 different eye drops I take through out the day all week and each week
for a month decrease them.  Sunglasses when outside and also patch over my eye
while sleeping (so I do not rub eye).

I had the misconception that I would just sit in a chair and this procedure would be done.
Also I was not aware of an implant being used.

One who considers herself knowledgeable, researching much, was unaware of so much
about this procedure.   This may be in part because of recent health issues and a lot of family visiting over the last month.   Not questioning this and going foreword with healing and anticipating,
once again enjoying the many unread books in this cottage after second eye is done in a month.

Over the last 24 hours still feeling some affects of anesthesiologist wearing off and just
returned from visit to eye doctor and will return next week.    All is well with some
elevated eye pressure.

For a few days will keep a simpler schedule and stay close to home...

Thank you to all who have been remembering me.  Computer still not perfect but at present
one day at a time and just going foreword with much thankfulness in my heart....

A special thank you to
my Jamie who was with me throughout this procedure
and spent last night with me.....

14 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

Darrell had both eyes done a week apart. Everything went splendidly well!

An amazing process, really.

((hugs))

lil red hen said...

Thinking of you every day ...

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I do hope all goes well and that you'll soon be enjoying reading and catching up on collected books.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Pienosole said...

Wishing you an easy and peaceful few days...

Judy said...

It all sounds so easy, but I am still creeped out just from thinking about it. I can barely put drops in my eyes by myself--I am so freaky about anything to do with my eyes. I thought you just sat in a kind of dentist chair to have it done too--maybe that was the way they did it long ago? So glad it is going well--don't bend over!!!!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandy, Charlotte, Lorraine, Pienosole, thank you...
Judy, surely at this age and solo we can put drops in our eyes :)
No helper here
so just do it...

Mrs A said...

I'm glad this is over for you and that your eyes will be 100% before too long! My husband has had both done and we have always felt it is a miracle procedure! You will enjoy your reading again. I have cataracts appearing but nothing to be done for at least a year.
By the way I loved your last post, the damp in the air and around you! I would love to have a bit of 'damp'! It continues dry here but the Autumn colours have been a joy. Mrs A

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mrs. A., thank you. Visit again :)

Sky said...

hi - do you actually feel a sensation of pressure in the eye? so glad you are ok and that jamie was with you. you'll be reading before you know it! hope you rest that eye a bit and stay out of the sun for a few days!

Wisewebwoman said...

After my father had it done he said it was like the whole world lit up and he was surprised at how colourful everything was!!

Delighted for you. Heal. Don't bend. Don't lift.

XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, I do not feel anything in right eye. When examined this morning was told this. So taking 4 different eye drops on and off all day. Return to dr in a week.
WiseWebWoman, other then reading my books, which I still did - but had to concentrate on words more
and reading not as pleasurable.
Thanks for checking in - your sharing makes me smile :)

Hill Top Post said...

So glad the procedure went well and that you are taking it easy for a few days...such a pretty time to rest and enjoy the beauty outside your window.

Sharon said...

It's encouraging to hear that the surgery went well and you are feeling better. Thank you so much for your comment over at my place ~ the fabrics are ones that my grandmother would have liked:)

MsGraysea said...

So happy to hear things went well for you, and how nice that Jamie was with you all the way. I will be needing this done, too so was interested to hear about the process as I had no idea how it was done.

Love and peace to you today!