Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Turning Clocks Back On Saturday Night

By habit I get up earlier then most people I know.
I love the morning and watching the day begin which results
in going to bed earlier then most I know.

Cate who writes http://beyondthefieldsweknow.org
always post very early and is up like this One Woman.

Sometimes I hear the comment that my hours could be different
but I like them the way they are - they are a part of me.

There are memories of an aunt who stayed up past midnight
and did not get up until about 10:00 in the morning.

When children visit they always tease me about my hours.
I am very quiet when I get up early so I do not wake anyone.

Looking back over the years this was done because of working.
Growing up in Michigan, public transportation and extremely cold winters
it was a necessity.
As time went on, marriage and starting a family construction business
these hours were also a necessity.

In the past always turned the clocks back the day before to adjust
to the time change.
Since there are no appointments the rest of the week I decided last night to do this earlier and consequently today I am
having difficulty adjusting to the time and I am very tired.
Maybe it is better today on this cold, windy and inside day
then the weekend when the temperature is predicted to rise to 60 degrees
and I may plant a few seeds in some pots. 

I have a friend who shared the time change never bothers her and she
never gives it a thought.  Her circumstances much different then mine
as she has a lot of help and it really does not matter when she goes to bed
or gets up.     Occasional outside help at present time because years are going by rapidly
 but none in past years

I wonder does anyone else have difficulty adjusting to the time
when it changes.



9 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

The time change always aggravated my husband and it does the same for me. I wish they would just leave it one way or the other. Your body and psyche just get used to it being one way and then it has to get used to another.

I love mornings too and am up early, and to bed early also. It is part of who I am, just like you.

We always set it ahead

Sharon said...

Spring ahead so set clocks ahead one hour Saturday night before you go to bed. My daughter is already unhappy about how much longer it will be dark for her early morning wake-up schedule. I routinely stay up past midnight. Fortunately I can get up when I need to. When family visit we are quiet in the mornings, too.

Pienosole said...

I too am tired for several days after we "spring forward" at this time of year. It feels like at least one symptom of jet lag. Not sure why when it's only an hour's difference, but it is...
I'm enjoying waking up with the sun at about six these days, but will be happy to have that extra hour of light in the evening for the next several months :-).

lil red hen said...

Yes, One Woman, it makes a longer work day here on the farm; supper tends to be much too late. I didn't change my clock by the bed last fall, and when I look at it now I think, "Oh boy! I have one more hour to stay in bed!" But come Sunday it will be the actual time and no more "one more hour". Silly isn't it? I'd prefer it be with the sun all year round.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lorrainw, Sharon, Pienosole and Charlotte, we are all respond differently to this time change.
Wish they would leave time the same...

kerrdelune said...

Oh, this is a grand post and thank you for tucking me in too. These early hours are indeed the best part of the day!

Sky said...

I have always resented the change, back and forth, year after year. I think we should remain on a daylight saving schedule all year long. It doesn't upset my internal clock very much, however. And, how I do love the longer days! Traveling west to east steals 3 hours of my day as soon as I step off the plane. Now that can take a couple of days to adjust to. Does jet lag have the same effect on you?

MsGraysea said...

The time change is fine with me as I love the trade-off of more daylight. I, too, go to bed very early, and rise early treasuring my time at home before I leave for work at 7:45 am. A lot gets done in that time, including meditation, reading, writing and breakfast, some cleaning, lunch prep and organization. Always feels good to leave my house neat and ready for my arrival home.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Kate, Sky, Marcia, as always
thank you for visiting...