Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, December 6, 2012

You Took Your Time

I spotted you in a special shop in Jamaica,
Probably 40 years ago.

I have held you in my lap while moving
from home to home.

You always started chiming when I would
place you in your new home.

A different story when arriving at this cottage.
You have hung on the wall for over 2 years
and would not tick.

The special people who work on clocks are
difficult to find at this time.  Guess it is not
a profession that young people would have
an interest in.

In years past my stepfather would service
my old clocks and he passed away 10 years ago.

I can remember my grandmother would take a feather
to dust her clocks and would dip the end in oil to help it run.

Yesterday
You started ticking and chiming and still going strong.
Smiling I urge you on...

You have had a long rest and please keep up
what you have started.

Next time I visit the woods
I think I will gather some turkey feathers.


to try something my grandmother did.

15 comments:

MsGraysea said...

I love this.....You know I live over a clock repair shop....each day the chimes are different, depending on what is in for repair. Really enjoyable for me, maybe not so for others! Keep us informed of the progress.
Happy sunny day to you!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, thank you for your words.
I want someone local to work on my clocks and they are no longer available. Hopefully what I have will continue as long as I do :)

lil red hen said...

I'm happy for you to have the clock working again! My daddy made a grandfather clock for us and each time he came to visit he'd make sure to see if I had remembered to wind it. Now that was something I just couldn't keep up with so I know he was disappointed many times. I always keep the chimes turned off; time goes fast enough without being reminded every 15 minutes. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh Charlotte, I love hearing the chimes and every morning wind the clocks in this home.
Now my children and grandchildren
over the years have remarked about their sound. One daughter when visiting asks me to turn them off so she can sleep.
I am so accustomed to these clocks I rarely hear the chimes :)

Sharon said...

Beautiful. Your clock just needed time to settle in.

We have two antique clocks and miss their chimes when they are out of commission. We can still find clock repair experts if we look really hard. My daughter-in-law asks us to stop the one in the living room so she can sleep when she visits ~ like you we are so used to the sound, and in fact I sleep better when the clocks are working.

the wild magnolia said...

I adore chiming clocks!!!! Loud enough tic tocs to be heard marking the moments of our life.

Great post!!!

mel said...

Wow! It just started again on its own?

Hill Top Post said...

Good timing...just in time for the holidays. The chimes will surely add a bit of joy to each day.

Sky said...

:)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sharon, Sandy, Mel, Mary, Sky,
thank you for visiting..

Judy said...

Well--that is amazing!

Wisewebwoman said...

I love these kinds of stories,it reminds me of the song my grandfather and father would sing, The Grandfather Clock.
Have you heard it?
XO
WWW

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

www, as always thank you for visiting. never heard the song :)
sing it for me...
Judy, just set the time and started the pendlum and away she went...

Anonymous said...

How lovely! And magical! I love the image of your cradling that special clock in your lap as you moved from one place to another. I home she'll keep chiming for you!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

MWD, thank you...