Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Local Herbal Soap

For over 30 years have watched her.
Remember her singing in the choir
of the then small local church
Long dark hair almost to her waist.
Always a smile upon her face.

She came to my small town a young mother
with a beautiful daughter.

Married one  of our favorite local farmers
Mr Will Ed
Over the years
 an addition of 2 sons and one more daughter arrived
and now a new granddaughter.

Works at our local newspaper office
a busy young woman
who reaches out to me
with love when she delivered her herbal soap
and  makes me smile at the memory
of something this One Woman
dreamed of doing 30 years ago....

http://lanasherbalsoaps.com/

8 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

How lovely.

Handmade soaps are wonderful, my favourite is lavender. Reminds me of my old aunts and the sachets they would make and put in drawers and wardrobes. Always in handmade lace.

XO
WWW

Balisha said...

My first husband and I made soaps for a craft show that I was hosting. We added some herbs to the mix and then we put the soap in lined cardboard boxes to harden. After they were hard, the soaps were cut into little bars and wrapped in parchment paper, tied with a jute ribbon and put in baskets to sell. Every one of those bars sold. One lady said that it was the best soap for taking grass stains out of her little league ball player's pants. I was surprised to hear that my nice soap was used for that...but if it worked..oh well.
It was an experience that I only did once. Every once in a while...I think that I might like to try it again, but never do.
I love lavender soap...and Christmas peppermint at this time of year.
Balisha

Lynn said...

Your journal always evokes memories. Balisha’s comment sparked another one. Long ago I moved into a house in need of cleaning. Under the sink on a saucer was a large bar of what appeared to be handmade soap. Instead of tossing it I put it in a zip lock and put it with the rest of my cleaning supplies. One day attacking a particularly stubborn stain I used the soap. To my amazement it worked! Over time I used the bar to the last sliver and often wondered if it contained lye for it’s cleaning prowess. Enjoy your day.

the wild magnolia said...

I'v wanted to make soaps too, perhaps I shall.

sandramhagan@yahoo.com

you are a good online friend, a friend is a friend is a friend.

i'm off my game of blogging...

((hugs))

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

WWW, Balisha, Lynn and Sandy, thanks for visiting. I love this soap and it last forever...

Judy said...

I tried making soap, at one time, was not very successful, but it was fun. Glad you have this friend who comes for a few minutes.

My Grama's Soul said...

I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE FOR A WHILE....I have forgotten how peaceful your spot is.....thanks for this.

xo

Jo

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

gs, Judy - thank you..
Ellen, you wrote many comments this morning on so many entries.
Thank you
You make me smile...