Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, September 15, 2012

When I Am Among the Trees

When I am among the trees
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
   but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."

~~Mary Oliver~~  Thirst

8 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

no one says it better. thank you.

mel said...

Absolutely beautiful.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

This was wonderful!

Lynn said...

Isn’t she wonderful?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandy, Mel, Lorraine and Lynn, I relate so deeply to most of her poems. Most of her books are stacked beside my old leather chair.

Hill Top Post said...

Beautiful words, so meaningful..."walk slowly, and bow often...go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine."

Sharon Lovejoy said...

I start EVERY day with poetry, just a few, but poetry and prayers make for a good day. Mary Oliver makes for a GREAT day. I JUST finished reading "Terns" from New and Selected Poems and these words reminded me of you.

"But nothing you ever understand will be sweeter, or more binding,
than this deepest affinity between your eyes and the world."

Sending a warm hug across the miles,

Sharon

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mary, thank you.
Sharon, you make me smile. You are so busy and you commented :)
Thank you..