Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Part Of My World

Weeks of heat and no rain
have turned into days of
continual rain
the woods resemble a lush rain forest.

All looks beautiful
but the earth is like a wet sponge
and the many weeds have sprouted
over night. 
Guess this is their home also.

~~Keep close to nature's heart
and break clean away,
once in a while, and climb a mountain
or spend a week in the woods.
Wash your spirit clean~~

John Muir   1838 - 19l4

~~Sometimes a person has to go a very long distance out of his way to come
    back a short distance correctly~~    Edward Albee (playwright) quote


10 comments:

Lynn said...

Two excellent quotations for a rainy afternoon. Have a great weekend.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Glad to hear you've gotten some much needed rain.

FlowerLady

Elsa Louise said...

I love John Muir, who so loved my home state of California.

the wild magnolia said...

I love this John Muir quote. It is true, to "break clean away...climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods....wash your spirit clean." Sigh.....

To have our spirit washed clean by the beauty of nature is an honor. Possibly that is why i love the land, the woods, rivers, the sweet scent of the plains grasses, your woodlands are lovely.

Happy Saturday and Sunday One Woman!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lynn, FlowerLady, Elsie, and Sandy, thanks for visiting "me"

Nan said...

Nature works things out most of the time, it seems to me. We just need to be in touch more. Love those quotes.

Hill Top Post said...

One of my favorite John Muir quotes...just posted this a couple of days ago when Dan and I took a bit of time to "break away."

I finished reading your wonderful journal, and have enjoyed it immensely. I am so inspired...to work some on my woodland trail...to "breathe in and out, and try to rest in the moment," to eat more soup, to... Thanks for sharing!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mary, how you have pleased me that you read all of my entries.
Take care and keep in touch :)

Sharon said...

Beautiful - like a postcard. We just returned from Califonia. We didn't visit Muir Woods this time but marvelled at the redwoods as we drove up the coast of northern CA. It will be back to Muir Woods for sure next time ~

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Nan and Sharon, thanks for visiting.