Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, July 20, 2012

Nothing Remains The Same

"Everything is always changing,
nothing remains the same,
and live in the moment"
These are some words that my special son
sometimes tells his mom.

Last night - a night to forget.
Rarely watch television, and glance
at the weather forecast on the computer.
Storms were predicted for the evening
and all was well until 8:30.

The lightning was nonstop for hours,
the wind and rain so strong that I
thought when dawn arrived I would
see part of the roof of this cottage torn off.

Current was off for almost 8 hours and for
some reason my cell phone would not finish
some numbers.  Checked in at the beginning
of rain with my youngest
daughter to see what was going on.  Was told
that the worst of this storm was in my area.

After several hours I was able to call the local
sheriff's office to see if I was the only one without
current or was it widespread.  Told that it covered
a wide area.  Love the 10 foot high corn field but
have no view of surrounding area.

So a sleepless night and a surprise that Callie never
whimpered liked her mistress.  Just wagged her tail
when I ask if she was alright.

Dawn arrives and it looks like a tornado has passed
through my garden and woods.  Dozens of small trees are down
and limbs everywhere.  All outside flower pots are turned
over, concrete bird baths, most outdoor furniture turned over
and blown off of front porch
and my screen porch has some screens that were partially
blown out.

At dawn the first time ever that I did not immediately start cleaning up
I remember my mother and grandmother commenting on a lot
of the outdoor work I did.  They told me you will know when
you can no longer do this.   Well I knew that there was no way
I could tackle this clean up.   Especially with being awake all night.

I filled the bird feeders as the birds seemed to be unsettled.  Took
the blower and cleaned off walk and that was it.
Made 3 phone calls and someone is coming in the morning with a
chain saw to begin the clean up.

Continuing thoughts - as time goes on is this where I need to live.

I have no answer but I do know I am so thankful there was no major
damage to my cottage, that my long drive only had a few limbs on
it that I removed and I was able to get to the road this morning.

Seems Woodhaven and her mistress  have survived the rain, heat, beetles and now
a really bad storm.  For this thankfulness thoughts - never stop....

14 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh, my. I did not even know a storm was headed your way. So sorry. I am gold you did not get out there. Let others do the heavy stuff. I know you are where you are supposed to be, and a storm like that can hit the city too. Hope all is better soon.....

Elsa Louise said...

I am so sorry to hear of the weather woes in your region. Please do not overdo. Help is good.

lil red hen said...

What a terrible night you must have had! I'm glad you'll have help with the clean-up. Just do a little at a time; things will wait for you.

Lynn said...

Your journal entries are real, graphic and poignant. Thankful prayers for you and Miss Callie are also sent. Your are strong and resilient. I was glad to read you have someone coming to take care of the mess. You have survived with wit and charm.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, Elsie, Charlotte and Mary,
thank you so much for your kind words.
Mary, since you read all of my entries I think you may know me well. Thank you for your friendship. I shake my head at the wit and charm. Would be nice if I thought this was me :) At the moment I feel like saying to family nd ll "forgive me for complaining but was just sharing life at the moment...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lynn, I read a comment from another post and entered wrong name.
Thank you always for your special comments...

Balisha said...

I saw that storm on the radar when we were watching the weather channel and thought of you. What a terrifying night for you and Callie. I'm so glad that you are safe and are listening to your body in the cleanup job that's ahead. The weather this year has been so unpredictable....Just hang in there and please don't get discouraged.
Big hugs...Balisha

chantexplor said...

Iam reading your blog sitting in my living room in a narrow and dull street in Paris. How lovely is your countryside. I was delighted to watch at your photos.
Chantal,from France

Hill Top Post said...

Thinking about you, Ernestine... thankful that you and Miss Callie are fine. Before long, Woodhaven will be as beautiful as ever.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

From France, thank you so much for reading my rambling :) check in again...

mermaid said...

Ernestine, I'm so glad you are alright and that the cottage and Ms. Callie are safe. You went through a pretty serious storm alone, and now you are writing about gratitude.

One Amazing Woman!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Kaveri, thank you for visiting.

Judy said...

Scary--but you did it!!!

MsGraysea said...

Wow, sounds like a bad storm, Ernestine. I have been away from internet for a few days and just catching up. Hope the weather will be a bit calmer now so you can get the clean-up done, and happy to hear you are OK. Callie is a rare dog not to be bothered by storms.