Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, July 16, 2012

No Bucket List - But

No thoughts of posting this early morning
A busy day is beginning.
Just finished reading some sharing that I did not post.
Wrote this several weeks ago.

Do you just dream or do you put your dreams in action?


Just finished reading the latest issue of Newsweek.
My neighbor a retired former professor from the East, who lives in
the first home I built, throws this magazine wrapped in
plastic in my drive each week along with the New York Times Sunday paper.
Always makes me smile when I remember she bought
that home after  seeing it described on the Internet 10 years ago.
Not familiar with this area and I always thought this was
interesting that she went from a university lifestyle to a
somewhat isolated country home.  Of course at that time
she had a roommate but is alone at this time

In the Newsweek an article on 7 places to visit before you go broke or die.

Not interest in 6 of them but one mentioned was Cuba.
I always find information about Cuba interesting.
It would be like taking a trip back in time.
I imagine old quality things deteriorating and wonderful food
and the bluest of water.

Next this woman is always fascinated with reading about people who relocate
to Italy.   Can imagine the old wonderful homes that are surrounded
by stone fences and the wonderful gardens and great fresh food.
After high school and working at the Ford corporate office in Detroit, Michigan - my best
friend was Italian.   Oh how I loved visiting her home and the dining on the wonderful
food her mother prepared.   I have tried relentlessly to locate her but
was not successful. My youngest daughter who is a computer whiz tried to help me.
I could not find her....
 Even tracked her address before marriage.
We both belonged to the Ford Ski Club.
Her name was Virginia Zanata and I remember her like it was yesterday.

Then on to my dream place which is Jamaica,  I can hear the tide coming in
and out.   Can visualize the way the people move slow and always smiling.
I remember 30 years ago, newly divorced and visiting this favorite island.
I looked into the job market and was seriously considering relocating with
my youngest daughter to this island.   Wonder if I had done this what my life would be like now!

My son in Thailand part of the year  and if I could stand the flight or the multitude of people
surrounding him and had someone to travel with and perfect health - I would be on the way.
So, these are thoughts not put into action.  
Guess I have a dream bucket list.

Then I smile to myself and think
how God has showered his wisdom and blessings
on this One Woman - over and over.
So, this is a good life
but still have a vivid imagination.

9 comments:

Lynn said...

It would be wonderful to say I’m one of those dynamic women who set goals and went for them. I’m not her. Instead I just strolled along at a leisurely pace taking each day as it came. That choice landed me in the most stupendous place. Contentment is knowing you are exactly where you need to be today. No bucket list I can’t carry. It’s called a watering can.

Judy said...

We will always have our dreams (I hope) of places we have visited or would like to visit. I am exactly where I belong!!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Lynn, I am like you - but mind still wanders--love the watering can.
Judy, thanks for visiting.

Elsa Louise said...

I too would love to travel to Italy. The ancient frescoes would be spectacular to see in person. And Thailand, yes, I would travel there as well. I think I would have all the melodies from The King and I running around in my head, though.

Cuba, well, all of my life it has been under Communist control, so I have not considered it as a destination in any meaningful way. But I do have an acquaintance who lived there before the fall and Castro. She seemed to be quite enamored with it. Her first husband was in government service and was posted there, as I recall. I also have a friend who is German, and he has traveled there and has sent me photographs.

From those, I feel certain it is quite a lovely land, and as you say, like stepping back in time about five decades.

I would love to travel with you!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh Elsie, who knows. Would love to have a fellow traveler :)

mermaid said...

Ah, Ernestine. We all dream and there is nothing wrong with desire. It's when desire blocks the feelings of gratitude that we begin to slip into unhappiness.

Thanks for sharing. I think I needed to hear my own words written above!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Kaveri, thank you for visiting. Oh yes, I am ever thankful and grateful for much...

mansuetude said...

I love this post, and have never made a bucket list. I like the idea of no bucket list i can't carry. You have some wise conversation going on here.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

mansuetude, so pleased you have made a visit. love the poem on your latest entry it reminds me of the old trees surrounding my cottage. please visit again...