Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Best Breakfast

I like reading http://first50.wordpress.com/
sometimes the subject reminds me of something and I begin to respond.  I do it without planning
or giving much thought to what I am typing.  

This morning it was on Best Breakfast.

Breakfast in the past many times was a dozen scrambled eggs or over light in my big electric frying pan, a pound of bacon, sausage, milk gravy, biscuits with butter, fresh jams, jelly, lots milk, juice and coffee.
Seems the aroma has filled the air as I type away.
During special holidays instead of bacon and sausage there would be ham.

Seems most of the time I now have cereal and fruit, sometimes oats and some fresh muffin or bread I have made and sometimes I will make French toast with maple syrup.   
Always there is plenty of fruit in this cottage.  Every couple of weeks I will scramble an egg and cook a slice of bacon but it seems I do this more in the Fall and Winter.

This morning on my cereal
I placed bananas, blueberries and some sliced peaches.   Also cherries seem to be abundant at my market and I ate a handful before the cereal.
Green tea and some zucchini bread finished this meal.

At this particular time in my life I sometimes think "breakfast is my biggest meal and the one I enjoy most."

I will always remember the table filled with my children, their father and the special big cooked breakfast that was enjoyed years ago.

I can remember my son had a special visitor at one time and the young man asked if I would teach
him how to make milk gravy.    This was something he had never tried before.

Jimmy, remind Tim of this....

13 comments:

Beverly said...

I love eggs, bacon, and toast! Comfort food for me! My new favorite is carrot raisin muffins! I woke up every morning when I was young to my grandmother cooking bacon and eggs for my grandfather....he lived to be 89 and she lived to be 99!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, you make me smile. I can smell my mother's strong coffee perking at this moment. Seldom drink coffee but love the smell of it. So good to see your comment.
Miss you
Oh, wonder how long we will be on planet earth :)

Hill Top Post said...

In reading your journal, I was always quite impressed by what was on your breakfast menu... and, don't forget those wonderful bran muffins from Woodhaven!

Also, from yesterday's post...know the little hummers will be happy for the cypress vine blooms. I noticed that your feeder was hanging near the vine.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mary, just have not felt like baking. Have the ingredients for these special muffins. Maybe one morning at dawn - while it is cool I will bake...

MsGraysea said...

Your breakfast sounds so nice, and I can picture you there savoring slowly and enjoying the morning in your beautiful haven!

I love breakfast, too. Most often these days I have a smoothie made with fruit, yogurt, oat bran and spinach. Sounds weird but it tastes very good and holds me through the morning. I have a cup of Earl Gray tea, as well.
On the weekends, sometimes, LM and I will cook bacon and have french toast, as Ms G's favorite treat is little bits of bacon. She will sit right by our sides during the cooking and wait for the bacon!

the wild magnolia said...

Breakfasts are beginnings. Actually, breakfast is my favorite meal. 2 eggs over medium, sweet ham, home fries and toast, my favorite breakfast.

Thanks for sharing your memories, then and now.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, sometimes I will make a smoothing.
Sandy, yes I like my breakfast probably the best of any meal.
A good start for the day.
Evening meal could even go without.
But it is the time in my life.
When family visits evening is a big meal also...

Cait O'Connor said...

I also enjoy breakfast a great deal now, maybe because it is less rushed. I have never heard of milk gravy! I am glad I have found your blog via Frances in New York's - we have a lot in common.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Cait, how exciting that I have found you. An early morning and I read your profile. We have a lot in common - please visit again...

joared said...

Interesting that many of the older folks with whom I come in contact like to eat a big breakfast and often a light lunch and dinner.

I enjoy oatmeal, bran and fresh fruit preceded by a glass of juice and a few moist prunes.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

joared, sometimes my breakfast is similar to yours. Yes, breakfast seems to be the meal I enjoy most and very hearty....

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I always loved your milk gravy with biscuits! We save that as a special winter breakfast treat now. I think we can only handle that richness about once a year. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My Jamie, something to look forward to. Love you...