Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, June 1, 2012

Coconut and Pineaple Pie

For several weeks I kept thinking of  the coconut and pineapple pie that is covered with meringue  that I use to bake.
All the ingredients were on hand.
Yesterday morning I baked the pie before breakfast.
Sure looks good as it cools and hope it is as tasty as it looks.
Did not have cornstarch in the pantry to make the mixture I add to meringue.
This was shared with me years ago.
This process gives you a meringue with more volume, does not weep and stays high.
It always results in a picture perfect looking pie.   Have used it on banana pudding also.

To make....

Bake your deep dish pie shell according to directions on package.

In double boiler place 2 cups of milk, 3/4 or 1 cup of sugar (1 cup seemed a little too sweet for me), 3 beaten egg yolks, 1/4 tsp salt
and 1 tsp vanilla.
Mix and stir or whisk continually until mixture thickens.   Usually takes about 10 minutes.

Add 1 small can of crushed pineapple - drained and 1 and 1/2 cups of coconut to the thickened
pudding like mixture.

Put in baked pie shell and add meringue.

For meringue  beat 3 egg whites and after they begin to form soft peaks I add 2 tbsp of sugar
and 1 tsp of vanilla.    Continue to beat until stiff peaks form and then place on pie.

Bake in 350 oven until golden brown.  Usually 10 to 15 minutes

You can use this same pudding mixture for banana pudding or add chocolate for that type of pie.

4 comments:

Lonely Rivers said...

As I try to figure out how to be a retired single lady you have continually inspired me with your energy, creativity and honesty. You do know that even though I don't comment every day, I do check in - Over the years I have grown to know and care about you like someone I have known forever and "in person." And of course, because you are honest I know you better than I do most of my friends. Thank you. (And I sure wish I could stop by for a piece of that pie!!)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

LR - thank you so very much. Everyone that comments to my rambling inspires me. I do not know how be be past middle 70's.
I just keep moving and if I sat for long I would feel that was the end. With my fall and now some unbalance I am moving slower but I will keep moving. Wish you lived near and thank for your kind words.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

That looks amazing mama! You are such a good cook. Love you. The girls would eat that entire pie. ;)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you, my Jamie...