Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, March 17, 2012

On The Country Road "A Little Bear"

Returning from errands yesterday
and I am tired of leaving the woods
and running errands...
Winding down my country road
in my much loved old pickup,
a little puppy in the middle of the road.
Why did I stop?
Immediately he almost jumped in my arms.
So....
down the road we continued home.
Puppy in my lap
crying and looking at me like
I am Mother Teresa.
Arriving home it seemed Callie immediately
liked our visitor or new occupant.

It evidently had been dropped off a day or
two.
Gulped down 2 bowls of dog food and
drank 2 bowls of water.
Thought I would secure on deck
but it crawls through the slats and
also out of dog pen.
I know "if I keep" in a few weeks this
will be no problem as it looks to me
like it will be a big dog.

So, I really have more then I can now
take care of  - and am aware if I were
not so fussy or a compulsive doer
all would be fine. Some more facts
I am getting old or as my youngest
granddaughter tells me "grandma you are already old."
Also some health issues, budget and do I really want
another dog?
Heart  smiles - mind says - think on this.
Callie says "I would like the company"

I pulled 20 ticks off the little one
put peroxide on him and hoped
my itching during the night was imagination of
this matriarch having ticks crawling
all over her.

Up since 3:30 checking on the little one
which cries and wags her tail when I appear.

Crossing the yard I came across
another visitor.  Sure hope it was
a chicken snake

Will see what the day brings.

Children and grandchildren seem to
be excited about this little one
but they are not here to help.

Also thought if I just called it puppy
We were not bonded
But now calling it "Little Bear"

My grandson who attends the University in Nashville wrote me.
He is visiting soon and bringing his girlfriend Missy.
Wants to see our new visitor and is bringing some dog food and a toy.

12 comments:

Sky said...

ohhhh, how exciting! he is so ADORABLE! his ears are perfectly tipped, and the coloring of his facial mask is symetrical. he really is beautiful. if you think he may have slipped away from his home while being inquisitive and got lost maybe you can post a few signs nearby and ask a local vet if anyone has mentioned a lost pup. i can't imagine someone abandoning this darling bundle of fur! i know in rural areas it happens a lot though - we have friends who are always complaining about this very thing.

this reminds me of the dark, rainy evening when i was headed to a fitting of my wedding gown and there in the road was a precious pup, shaking his drenched fur and frozen in the middle of the highway by the glare of my headlights. i was terrified he would be killed and opened the passenger door and whistled. in he hopped. by the time i got to the fitting i was covered in mud and soaked myself, smelling like a wet dog. i had to reschedule, of course. thankfully, i found his owner. my car had to be detailed and so did i! we were both a total mess! ;)

Judy said...

Oh--he's so cute!!! YIKES on the snake--if I had found him, my shovel would have met his head!

Sharon said...

You have me chuckling this morning. What a cutie! Sky's suggestion to check with local vets is a good idea. Many animals these days have chips implanted with the owner's identification. Whatever happens, the puppy is safe for now and you've made a new friend.

Balisha said...

I just read your email and here I am. What a beautiful dog.I'm glad that I don't have to decide what to do. I'm afraid that I would just melt.
We adopted a pup once from a shelter near our home. They said that the little dog was found on the toll road...just sitting all day. It seemed that the owner had either dumped her or maybe she got out of the car and got away from them. This was years ago...we paid for her and brought her home. She lived with us for 15 yrs. My husband said that that was the best $5 he had ever spent.
Whatever happens with this little Bear...will be the right thing.
Balisha

the wild magnolia said...

Oh you've stepped right into it now. hahaha. You are way to cute about this, Little Bear is adorable, just like Callie.

Callie and Little Bear. Sigh.

Such a fun post. I cannot warn you off, because I am much the same.

Do what you think is best, I know you love the little fellow.

Happy everything. ((hugs))

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweet story! Bless your heart for bringing the little tyke home and then giving him a name too.
Little Bear sounds just right. It's nice that he and Callie get along. I look forward to hearing the rest of this story.

Happy spring ~ FlowerLady

Lonely Rivers said...

You ARE Mother Teresa!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, Sharon, Balisha,Judy, Sandy
L.R, will see how this develops.
Callie really jealous of this puppy.
Up since 3:00 AM - checking to see if all was well and how silly of me - I just stayed up...
So you can imagine how I feel.

Beverly said...

oh, my...I think you have a new friend....

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, thank you for visiting
3 sleepless night and I realize
I cannot have the responsibility
of a baby dog. What was I thinking. Hope all is well

Hughes ap Williams said...

Your post reminded me of the poem "A Dog Sits Waiting"...except you changed the ending!

If you decide to read it, have a hanky nearby:

http://petloverstips.com/Dog_Writings,_Philosophy_&_Poetry/A_Dog_Sits_Waiting.html

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

H&W, thank you for visiting