Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Do You Like Coconut

A cold and windy day
Nothing new to post
so I thought
what did I write - one year ago today.
Glad I checked
some research for new ideas of what is good for you
and I discovered the wonder of Coconut....
A bag of  Coconut is sitting on my kitchen counter
and Coconut Pie
you will soon be in the oven....



MARCH 13, 2012

There is nothing sweet in the cottage
for me to eat.
I remembered the bag of coconut
purchased several weeks ago.
Kept having memories of a pie
that years ago was made frequently.
So easy to whip up

Phone is ringing, it is my daughter
Laurie from Florida.  I shared that
I might make this pie and she told
me she liked it when I posted old
recipes that she grew up with.
She is starting to make them :)

Also, daughter Jamie and little one
stopped by for a quick visit and told me
coconut is one of  her husbands
favorites.  Will have to make it for him..

Found the stained old recipe card.

French Coconut Pie

Pour 1/2 cup milk over a can of coconut 8oz
in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes  (I used half a bag and there was probably 10 oz)
Drain coconut and add enough milk to make 1/2 cup
Add 1 cup of sugar, 2 beaten eggs,
1/2 stick of softened butter
Whip together until blended and
add 1/2 tsp vinegar at the very end.
Put in unbaked pie shell
350 degrees for about 1 hour or a little less


Good
Had to have a slice
before I took the image...

16 comments:

Judy said...

Yummy! I love coconut!

Balisha said...

That looks so delicious.
I didn't comment yesterday about Mary Oliver, so I will comment here. She is one of my favorites and I have a few of her books.I'm hoping that we hear good news about her soon. She'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Balisha

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That looks so good!

Have a wonderful week.

FlowerLady

lil red hen said...

Uh-oh! You've made me hungry! The inside of the pie looks a little like a custard ~ could it be?

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, FL and Balisha, thank you.
Charlotte, yes is like a custurd with coconut in the middle.

kerrdelune said...

Oh, it sounds wonderful!

Sharon said...

I do like coconut! This pie sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

Sky said...

yummmm - this sounds like something i could actually make! i will have to try it since coconut is my hubby's fav. i wish i had your talent in the kitchen.

by the way, the design touches in the room are so appealing. i love the provence art and the letter F on the counter.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Cate, Sharon and Sky, thank you for visiting - if you were near you could have a slice and tea :)

Sky said...

oopss...of course, that must be an E instead of an F!

the wild magnolia said...

I"m going backward in time on your blog. This time an extra bonus.....a recipe for coconut pie.....splendid and thank you.

Judy said...

Like I posted a year ago--"Yummy!! I love coconut!!"

In fact, I have 1/4 coconut cake sitting on my counter to enjoy the next few days.

Wisewebwoman said...

YUM!

XO
WWW

Friko said...

Delicious!

MsGraysea said...

I adore coconut....thanks for this recipe!
Like so many of us, I, too, adore Mary Oliver's writing. I heard from someone local who knows her, that she is doing well.

Sharon said...

I made this pie after you posted the recipe last year. It was as good as I thought it would be! So glad to read the comment that Mary Oliver is doing well.