Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cedar Incense

I miss the wood burning fire place and wood stove that was part of many past years.   I kept a fire going on cool Fall evenings, through the Winter and into rainy days of Spring.  The basket near by was always full of wood and  on the side porch a little red wagon was handy with more wood.  In the evening  I would pull my chair up as close as I could get and just sit.  Sit looking at the flames, soaking in the warmth of the fire with not a thought on my mind.
Nothing can compare to a wood fire burning in a fire place.

 Sitting still is something I  find very difficult to do.   Why?  You would think by now it would be easier for me in these last years.     Why  the constant doing?   But then I like an orderly and neat home and on a nice day I am outside looking to see if anything is peeking through the earth,  picking up limbs that continually fall from the old trees and searching for a new camera challenge.  An early riser and I am not doing well with not turning on computer first thing in the morning.   Seems that is when an inspiration for writing occurs and also I am excited to see if there is an email from one of my children or grandchildren.

On being still,  I am so very slightly better because of my practice of mindfulness but I am far from my goal.    So many books are piled by my old leather chair and every morning I tell myself I will read later in the day.   With busyness the day is soon over and I am too weary to read.
Now if we ever have some days where I am literally snowed in - I will read all day....

There are gas logs in this cottage and  I rarely turn them on.   If we have some snow then I might as it gives a little atmosphere.

I miss the special smell of wood burning  and guess that is one reason I like burning incense.   What is burning at the moment
is Cedar and there is a slight woodsy smell in this room.

I think of my son in a far away land as this incense burns.   Memories of walking into his small home
and the scent of incense gave me the idea of beginning this practice.

This is a new burner
last year used an old blue flower pot.
I think I like it better
will retrieve from the outside gardening table
Need some sand for the flower pot and on next trip to local town I will purchase a small bag.

An hour later - have been trying to remember the woodsy scent "mens product" that I could not
get enough of many years ago.   "Aremis"  just came to mind.   I loved the soap for myself in the winter
time.    
Use to buy these
products for the father of my children.   I think I am going to look it up as it seems to go with this
cottage in the woods.   Think many of the memories have totally died other then the wonderful
woodsy scent.

15 comments:

Judy said...

Okay--this is weird because just last night I was thinking that I wanted to run up to the store and get some incense!! i like vanilla, but I will look for cedar, as I love the smell of cedar. I used to use it a lot, but have not burned any, nor any candles since Fred was diagnosed with COPD--afraid it would effect his lungs. Now--maybe today--I will make a journey to find some incense for this house!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I think a woodsy scent would be comforting. Like being surrounded by nature in your little indooe spot :) Have a continued healing day...

Tabor said...

Yes, cedar or sandalwood. Seems the popular candles and incense these days are all fruity smells. Nice but not as comforting in the winter. I am certainly blessed as I do have both a wood burning fireplace and a gas one in another room. I use each at different times depending on my moods, but weather here has been so warm I only use them early in the morning or at night. Cold weather coming in tonight!

Balisha said...

Our weather is changing today. Light snow is beginning and wind is forecast for later today. We will be snowed in for a day or two. I love burning candles with the same fragrance as your incense.
This day calls for soup. I'm making pea soup this morning.
Have a wonderful day...
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor and Balisha, thanks for visiting. My weather is changing also. Going to make cauliflower soup. Oh, I miss a wood fire :)
I keep looking to see where I could put one. NO PLACE - as this one small room you enter has a vaulted ceiling :(

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love Paine's balsam incense. It is wonderful, and I've not had any in years. There was some we picked up at a local flea market many years ago, pinon and similar one. I loved them too. Something about that earthy, woodsy scent does something to me.

FlowerLady

lil red hen said...

We burn cedar now and then in our wood burning furnace, and the smell is wonderful! We don't use our fireplace; Popa is afraid of chimney fires. We don't use that room much anyway since we closed in our garage and now have a big room full of sunshine.

Every day I plan to quilt, but something always takes me away from it. Too much "blog world"?

Sharon said...

I have been burning candles to help ease strong kitchen smells. I have never burned incense but now you have sparked my curiosity.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

FL, Charlotte, and Sharon, thanks fior visiting. This is kind of new to me. I order online from Monks in exile. Do not if in stores they would have scents like this...

the wild magnolia said...

Today's words left me feeling we had set beside a warm crackling roaring fire. Talking of important simple truths of life. It is a glorious feeling to feel this way.

For my thinking, you are finding your path, welcoming mindfulness, stillness, and being. I believe it will bode well for you.

I'm thinking constant doing, is continuous affirmation of life, rolling energy. It is you thriving on the results of jobs well done, comforting you for time well spent. You have discovered you need to breathe, selected spaces of time to absorb the creative energy of life.

Life is good. Wishing this is a continual New Happy Year.

((hugs))

Sky said...

it is spelled "aramis" when you research it. i remember that fragrance from years ago, too. i love incense, but with my respiratory sensitivity i am now afraid to burn it. seems i end up with bronchitis so easily.
i love the photos you included.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sandra, thank you for your comforting words. Now if my health would feel like in the past - all will be perfect.
Sky, you are special....

Hughes ap Williams said...

I love a wood fireplace...the scent, the look, the warmth. Whenever you are out picking up fallen limbs, you are contributing to the woodpile...free!

And later, ashes to go out on the garden.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Huges ap Willimas, I totally agree.
Thanks for visiting..

Anonymous said...

I haven't burned incense in a while. Perhaps I'll warm my house with it tonight. I hope you find the time for a nice, cozy time reading in your leather chair.