Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Rabbits Foot Fern

I have brought the last of my plants inside from the screen porch.
This Rabbits Foot Fern has traveled with me for years from home to home.
Even though I have read they can tolerate the low teens in temperature
I just feel better with it inside.
In a few days I will put it in the garage.
When it is time to once again put on the porch
it will look like it is almost dead.
In a short time it comes back to life.

Are we sometimes like this
maybe thinking we can just not make it
it is near the end
and then
we come back to life....

~~In fall
the cricket beneath the rose bush watches
We call this time of year
the beginning of the end of another circle,
a convenience
and nothing more.
For the cricket's song is surely a prayer,
and a prayer, when it is given.

This is a truth I'm sure of,
for I am older than I use to be,
and therefore, I understand things
nobody would think of
who's young and in a hurry,
The snow is very beautiful,

Under it are the lingering petals of frangrance,
and the timeless body of prayer ~~

In part from    ~~The Cricket and the Rose ~~    Mary Oliver

6 comments:

Tabor said...

You find such lovely quotes to match you photos!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Dear Tabor, thank you. Hope you are still babying that ankle :)

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely post. I adore Mary Oliver. And, oh, I so relate to the experience of thinking, "Okay, I'm done. I am soooo done. My energy is never going to return to me..." And, then, it does. Again and again.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Ellen, we think a lot alike. So glad we met :)

Judy said...

Yes--I feel like that all the time, but--then I awake up and have another day and whisper, "Thank you, God."

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy - I understand :)