Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, September 17, 2010

Extreme Opposites

Living in the big city for two years I became very aware of the difference between city life and country life.

I was very weary when I returned home from my recent day in the city. Very aware that there were too many items on my list (as my daughter's have reminded me ). No surprise I did not get it all done. I will return soon at a more leisurely pace. I love browsing in the different little shops. A number of delightful little neighborhoods with special little shops. Hillsboro Village, Centennial Park area and German town to mention a few. Each have cozy little eating places and shops. Miss eating at the Kien Gians a Vietnamese restaurant where I would eat lunch occasionally with my son. This is not far from the Sylvan Park area where I not too long ago built a city cottage.

Would someday like to wander around in the Nashville downtown area. So many memories from another time. Memories of going to town with my grandmother on the bus, Sunday dinners at special places with husband and children, Special shops that are long gone. Downtown Nashville is a totally different place. I might get lost :)

I need to take a couple of days vacation in Nashville. Just Miss Callie - what do I do?? Do not want to leave her penned up for a few days. But maybe that is not to bad. Have not come to a decision. This is one of the downsides of having a much loved pet. So maybe the answer is just to take day trips without a long list of what you want to do. That would be more relaxing. One Woman has a problem with pacing herself :)

Being a very sensitive person with a strong sense of intuition. Sometimes this trait is almost to a fault but maybe not as it allows me to be passionately aware of simplicity, nature, people, pain and joy.

I find the energy surrounding the city exciting but draining. Very aware of the lack of silence. If you stand still and concentrate a constant hum can be heard and felt - almost like a vibration.

Heading down the highway to the country and leaving the city behind calmness begins to comes over me like a cozy blanket. Driving down my road breathing becomes normal and I smiled at the sight of nature that is meeting me. Seems like the old trees are smiling, birds are chirping, Callie begins to stand at the fence with her tail wagging wildly. All are greeting me and saying she is home!!!

So for several days I will tackle growing stacks of paper work on my desk, stretch, breathe deep and go at a slower pace. Gardening is at a halt and the leaves are beginning to fall.

All of this brings to mind some words from a Simon and Garfunkel's song -

"Slow down you move too fast. Got to make the morning last".

Jan from http://awakeisgood.com/ - reminded me of these words not too long ago.

9 comments:

Jan Lundy said...

One Woman, I cannot tell you how often this song plays in my head! It is a constant reminder for me to go slowly, breathe and smile. And trust that I only need to do "just this," one thing, gentle, with care toward myself and others." Everything gets done eventually, or it doesn't. Oh, well.

I understand what you mean about the city. As a sensitive person too, I monitor my input very carefully. I can easily get thrown off balance by being in the "wrong place" for too long. I hope that you always enjoy your time away and enjoy the return as well. xo

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jan, thank you for the words to the song and also your comment. All your tips and mostly metta they are constant with me!!
We are much "alike". Have a great day.

Judy said...

I truly do not like cities. I want to see the sun set on the horizon, not have it blocked from my view by another building. I am a country girl and I need open spaces. Sometimes, even here in my wee little home, at the back of the park, near the wood, gets too stifling. How lucky I am that I can still "go home"--only a short half hour drive and I am once again on the farm of my ancestors with acres and miles of open fields and woods--nothing to block the sunset. I envy you living near the woods--a dream of mine never to come true.

MsGraysea said...

That is just amazing you should mention that song! Just yesterday my sister and I were thinking about it when we were saying "nothing goes faster than a Saturday or Sunday morning." All wee we think about all the things we will get done when the weekend comes. HAH...not so much gets done!
I do find that a day in the city...really tires me out, too.
Happy Sunday!

Bring Pretty Back said...

V and I were in the Upper Peninsula in michigan this weekend and it is SO quiet up there... we discussed how peaceful it is up there and so peaceful.
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Sharon said...

I agree that day trips are often the most relaxing ~ I enjoy the things I have planned and then enjoy spending the night in my own bed. The money I save on not staying in a hotel pays for my meals out and a bit of shopping the next time;)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, Marcia, BPB and Sharon, thanks for visiting. A long day but oh the weather is beautiful.
Sharon agre with you - All have a good night.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liza on Maui said...

Find a dog sitter in your area - there must be someone or some type of services like that. Here on Maui "pet sitting" is a great "side job" for many, and some even a full time job. When you find a trusted one, you can stay longer in the city and when you are tired of the city, come back to your haven in the country :)

Love reading your blog. Love you much.

Liza

P.S. When are you coming to visit Maui? I really think you should :)