Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Gift Delivered

I have always loved a riding mower. Through the years I found it relaxing to cut grass.

This probably seems strange to a lot of people. Especially those through the years that saw me in my upscale cloths and making decisions for a family business. That was not the real me!! Or rather it was just a part of my eclectic personality.

Memories of when my oldest granddaughter was a toddler and would visit at the old farmhouse, I would hold her in the lap as I cut grass. She loved it and many times would fall asleep in my arms.

I have someone cut the grass on the road, up my drive and around my cottage about every 3 weeks. My first plan was to not cut on the road and up the drive - leave it natural. I may return to this.

This is fine on the road and up the drive as I do not want it to look manicured. The small yard is a different story - I want the grass cut more often. With all the rain, it really needs cutting about every 5 to 7 days.

So - with the thoughts going over and over in my mind, and memories of yesterday, I purchased a small John Deere riding mower. I have 30 days to try it out. It could prove to be more then I want to add to my ongoing to do list. I also realize it has been a few years since I owned a riding mower. My other home with a small city yard, only needed a hired push mower and weed eater for about 30 minutes.

One thought surfaces - do I need to take this on. Then the thought of how much pleasure I use to experience from this. I also know that all of my children just look at me when I share this - I know their thoughts :)

So, on my close budget and money that probably could have taken me on several nice trips - I am choosing the riding mower. Will see if I still am thinking straight. I do know I will cut in the evenings when it is cool. In the morning the grass is too wet. Someone will still come with a big mower to cut on the road, up the drive and around the house every 3 to 4 weeks. I can keep around the house continually tidy.

7 comments:

Tabor said...

You are right. I never pictured you as the lawn mowing lady. I just drove past a farm that had a sign out announcing lawn mowing races next weekend. Better get practiced.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, all of my family - know how I love to cut grass. Mower in garage and I will not bring it out until it is cooler - like maybe just before dusk to try it out.
When I was married we had a farm, raised horses and cattle and I found it relaxing to ride the mower. No races for grandma!!

Cloudhands said...

If it has electric start and is easy to maneuver what could be more pleasant than to spend some time mowing and grooming your yard. I always enjoyed mowing and the smell of fresh cut grass. If it doesn't suit your fancy, back it can go. Enjoy and fill your days with whatever stikes your fancy.

Sky said...

glad you won't be out there in the heat of the day! there isn't much you don't do, i see. i love your fiesty nature....good for you. enjoy the work while you can. as my parents aged i saw that there is a time limit on us all. while we can still move and be active we should!

Balisha said...

A Poem for My Friend

Look out the window and see what I see...
A Lady whizzing by while chasing a bee.
The grass will be mowed by our dear Ernestine..
Just flying by on her big green machine.

Enjoy!
Balisha

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Barbra and Sky - thanks for your comments. I cut grass this morning. Loved it!!! Yes, you just turn the key, put it in gear and take off. Less then an hour to go around this home.
Dear Balisha, thank you for the poem. You put a smile on my face :)

Beverly said...

Trees...Be on Alert.....One Woman is Driving the Tractor!!! Another woman says with smiles on her face......


my word verification is "fliter" so funny...