Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Gift of Listening

Silence is a source of great strength
Lao Tzu

You cannot truly listen to anyone and do anything else at the same time
M.Scott Peck

To listen fully means to pay close attention to what is being said beneath the words. You listen not only for what someone knows, but for what he or she is. Ears operate at the speed of sound, which is far slower then the speed of light the eyes take in. Generative listening is the art of developing deeper silence in yourself, so you can slow our minds hearing to your ears' natural speed, and hear beneath the words to their meaning.
Peter Senge

One Woman has someone who truly listens to her. Listens and does not speak a word until she is finished. It touches her heart. Thank you!!!

10 comments:

Cloudhands said...

What a precious gift you have been given. It is a kindness we seem to be losing. I hope not. Your quotes are wonderful. I may steal them for my notebook.

Marcie said...

I have just spend some time reading through several of your posts. It is nice to catch up, and not be hurrying off to a class or an appointment. I love reading about the gentle pace of your days. Thank you for sharing them here.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Barbra and Aisling, thank you so much for checking in with me.
It seems we live in a time of such busyness. I am working on being still and truly listening to someone when they are talking to me. I find this is not easy.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post very much. It is wonderful to have someone that truly listens and truly cares about what we have to say. Have a good week. It is supposed to be beautiful here this week. I hope you get the warm weather, too.

Darlene said...

To really listen is a gift beyond the price of pearls. I try to do that, but it's a temptation to interrupt when a thought hits me.

It is nice to have someone actually hear you and not be thinking of what they will say next.

Pienosole said...

I agree that listening is a great gift, perhaps one of the greatest we can give to another person.

Sky said...

i need to improve in this area for sure!

mermaid said...

You are welcome. And I thank you from my deep waters for listening to me!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, Darlene, Mermaid, Sky and Magari - thank you for visiting.
Have a great day.

5 Kids With Disabilities said...

What wonderful comments about listening, something we should all do more of!
Lindsey Petersen