Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sharing From A Matriarch With A Thankful Heart

photo by Darcy at http://www3boybarians.com/

My daughter attended the Blissdom Conference 2010 at beautiful Opryland Hotel in Nashville, a conference for bloggers, last weekend.

She spent the night Friday night and was gone all day Saturday. From her sharing this morning it sounded great. She shared some highlights of the special lectures she attended.

Mom asked if she would find this this informative and enjoyable. (might be nice, a night away) that was not very far away. Quick answer "I am 40 and most attending were much younger." Guess that ended that.

Then she shared about the wonderful entertainment. Harry Connick Jr. who is a super star - entertained. She went back stage and mom thinks she will be able to post of picture of her with this man. I have been waiting for this picture before posting - tired of waiting!!

Bottom line - One Woman has never heard of him!!!

She mentioned something that mom is well aware of. Mom is super isolated (chose to be and am constantly told this!!) and stays busy with her interests in the woods. It might be nice to occasionally have lunch, go to a movie or chat in person with someone I had similar interests.

At the moment it seems her interests are no where near anyone in this isolated, and near small Southern towns. Email friends are 5 hours to worlds away. So, sharing online is the next best thing. Really special in her mind for she thinks you share more deeply when you write then in person.

There were years of marriage, business, divorcee, dating, relationships and she loves this freedom in her last years.

She remembers - years of nonstop activity and it seems finally she has come to a bend in the road and can do what she wants to do. At the moment - her heart says "rest."

In the past - her head said - go in town and walk at local Center. But her heart says she would rather walk the paths in her woods and along her long gravel drive.

Head says - maybe go to Senior Center events - heart says she is not interested and they all look so old - forgive me. She is probably looking at herself!!

Head says - start back to church and become involved like in the past. Heart says - she does not want to - she raised her children in church, taught, shared her home with visiting pastors, meals and meetings in her home, did special outreach to elderly and home bound and on and on. She would like to spend the balance of her years doing exactly what she is doing. Spiritually she feels connected to God in these woods and her heart tells her she is in a good place.

Head says do volunteer work - like in the past. Heart says - no. She thinks she is almost suffering from burn out. Since it has been a busy year - this may pass.

At present time family visits at special times, occasional babysitting, weekly lunch, grocery shopping, reading, photography, my journal, gardening, a few phone calls daily, mindfulness practice, yoga and taking care of my special needs - guess that is it.

She may sound dull - but is happy and wishes the head would leave her alone. All she needs is to follow her heart - it has never let her down. All she really know is there are not enough hours in the day for this One Woman and she seems to get further and further behind in some of her simple interest and tasks.

As long as she stays healthy, she can live in her chosen environment. She is well aware that if that changes she will be in a situation where she will probably be surrounded by people.

A call from someone she deeply admires was received late yesterday. One Woman attended special meetings in her home a number of years ago.

Sharing - the word "mindfulness" came up. Some special gatherings may begin and I have been invited. Wonders never cease - I may just go.

One Woman sharing this early morning with a Thankful Heart.

13 comments:

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

You are NOT too old to attend! I did not mean to imply that. I just know you don't like crowds and there were 500 women there. :)

But I was one of the "older" (ugh) mom bloggers in attendance.

One option for people who don't want to attend the full conference is the smaller workshops they held this year focusing on different things, from photography to creative writing.

Harry Connick Jr. is fantastic and very down to Earth. He was also there promoting his Habitat Musicians' Village in New Orleans. Great guy! Made my year!!! ;)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My Jamie - you are right - mom does not like crowds. Love you!!!

sally said...

I think it is important to know who you are in the moment in which you find yourself. At different times in our lives we do different things and activities for different reasons. And it is important to listen to what we need-you are doing a great job, and your insights about your past and future are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and pictures.

Darlene said...

I would attend a blogger conference no matter how young the others were. I could always learn something and, perhaps, they could learn from me.

'She' is right. She has paid her dues and the biggest joy of being old is the freedom to please onesself.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sally, you are so right. "She is a different person at this time of life."
Darlene - You are right also on both counts. I always appreciate your comments:)
Wish the snow would go away!!
Marcia, thank you for the email.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

I wish we lived closer. I would come sit and rock with you and listen to the woods together. We are definitely kindred....

I love your choices. They mirror my own. :-) I believe a big part of aging is maturing--embracing and accepting ourselves as we are. I am happy you are in this place. :-)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jan, thank you - Welcome home!!!

Lonely Rivers said...

Oh -this has been on my mind since reading about blissdom on other sites: we need to organize "Blissdom and Thensome" - a low-key, no hype party for older bloggers. What do you think?

Beverly said...

You continue to listen to your heart, you have lived the hustle and bustle lifestyle, and now it is time to experience the calm, peaceful country...don't let that head steer you in the wrong way.....But, am surpsrised you do not know Harry, he is quite a singer. And kind of peaceful in doing so.... :)

Cloudhands said...

I have to say I love being old enough to say no to so many things that distract me from the comforts of home. I think you are finding a wonderful balance in your life the way you explain your choices and I applaud you.
I also enjoy the singer and his music. I guess I'm not totally out of date on the music scene.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

LR - sounds great - but guess in my heart I am a one on one - home person. Barbra and Beverly thanks for commenting. Guess I have not listened to any music except my old cd's and no television for quite a while. Been so busy building, gardening and moving!!!

Nan said...

Oh, I love this, I really do. You express what I feel so often. We definitely do go through stages in our lives. And what better time to do what you want, when you want, and where you want than now! We spend way too much of our lives thinking about the 'shoulds.' Your time is now, dear one. Take it, use it, love it. I think you might enjoy a posting I just read this morning. She is in her thirties, I believe.

http://snowedinn.blogspot.com/2010/02/upon-reflection.html

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Dear Nan, thank you for your kind response - I read the "young lady's
entry. Reminded me that I have a small collection of turtles. Always felt they arrived at just the right time.
Have a great day!!