Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday Blessings

One Woman starts her day at dawn. Prayer and meditation. Waters her new garden and begins to load vehicle for afternoon in Nashville (maybe the night). Load of wash in the washer, 30 minutes of yoga and breakfast of oats, banana with a sprinkling of raisins and walnuts - 2 cups of green tea and 2 homemade orange cookies. That should sustain her through the busy morning. On to the small town to grocery shop, pick up additional chain for something she created ( 2 post on either side of drive before approaching home with a chain stretched across to keep any visitors from continuing on to the back of her home and turning around). She needed a mousetrap as her paper toweling in the garage had been partially shredded. Guess there is a mouse left over from construction with the garage door open. She has checked every opening under sinks and all have been sealed correctly.

Home from shopping and trying to decide whether to head to the big city. It is sure going to be hot and dry today with it topping 92 degrees.

She decided to leave after her normal lunch time. She packs her small cooler with yogurt, peanut butter sandwich, milk for cereal (which she still has in pantry) banana and 4 of her orange cookies. Oh, a piece of chocolate. As she drives in she will stop at the Cracker Barrel for a child's portion of baked fish, cole slaw, corn muffin and a child's sundae!! That should sustain her!!

Interesting what she viewed. A couple at a near table. He a rather large man that ate and ate and ate. Never looking up from the newspaper or his food - at his lovely wife. She continued to view him. I thought how sad. Not a glance or a word spoken.

Then I saw the elderly man help his elderly wife up to her walker. He was holding on to the table. After helping her up he made his way back and picked up his cane. A devoted, slow moving older couple.

I looked up and a couple, toddler and grandmother being seated in front of me. I watched and smiled at their interaction. The smiles and love I could sense. They kept talking to the little one and the young man (probably in his 30's) turned his head and planted a kiss on his mother's cheek. There happiness continued to float my way.

I could not keep the tears back as I witnessed this young man's tenderness towards his mother.

As I left my table I stopped and commented how they warmed my heart. The young man said this was his mother who had come in from Greece to attend his son's baptism. I told him of missing my son who is miles away and that for some reason he reminded me of him.

I told them to have a wonderful holiday together and the young man looked at me and said "blessings to you this day". The tears would not stop as I paid my bill and headed for the car.
I was reminded once again of all the blessings that are sent my way. I take none for granted and am so very thankful for them.

So I am here in the city and I will water my garden. I wanted to move a few plants but it is so hot. I am having thoughts of leaving an hour before dark and returning next week.

So this is part of One Woman's Day that she is sharing.

I am amazed at the amount of comments I receive from my sharing. I wish I could gather all of my followers for a party and hug you. A party under the trees with simple and healthy food.

Someone to play music and a glass of wine would make it complete.

Blessings sent to all this hot day in the sunny South

3 comments:

Tabor said...

I admire the way you can approach strangers and in a few words make their day even better by your observations. I wish I had that talent and courage. My words always have to be created on paper. Your food sounds delish...I must try to eat healthier.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, thank you for your kind comment. You never fail to lift up my spirit. Have a wonderful day.

Cloudhands said...

What a delightful entry to your blog. Tears welled up as I read about the young fellow and his mom. It sounds to me like you live your life in total awareness and have a knack for extending kindness wherever you go. What lovely example of mindfulness.