Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Good Day

Today was the first day in weeks that it did not rain. I headed for the country early this morning - still weary from weekend (why is it that when several generations and a lot of family get together there always seems to be something that is unsettling to me - maybe that never happens with any of my readers). There is so much going on in my family. Graduations, trips abroad, business slow down, issues that you think you have overcome and progressed to a new level and they surface again (do they every stop surfacing). My son says to his mom "what are you to learn from this" mom says "guess I am a slow learner". Anyway I was also sad all the outside projects I want to do and cannot because of the mud. When I read this - I sound very childish as compared to all that is going on in the world and it is affecting some of my family.

I found a helper ( an answer to prayer ) and a neighbor began grading part of area around my new home.So much was accomplished today and I drove home with a smile on my face. Also I stopped at Lowe's and 50 lbs of grass seed and half a dozen bushes are sitting in my truck to deliver in the morning. 10 bales of straw will also be loaded into my pickup from a neighbor's barn and if luck is still with me - seeding and strawing will be done. Also a number of plants will be planted.
A concrete man also meets me in the morning to help me lay out an area by garage and also a small terrace in two areas. Side screen porch is being worked on and deck in back will soon be started. Flooring inside will start soon, cabinets delivered and then appliances will be delivered in about 2 weeks.

So it is getting close to One Woman being able to spend nights in the country. Sure will help this weariness when I do not have to drive up and down the road for hours.

This dream escalated from a weekend cabin to a small home where I plan to spend - hopefully the rest of my earthly time.
There is nothing upscale in this home an I have watched every expenditure and it is still running 25% more then I planned. One reason is I went from the one bedroom cabin to a home with an upstairs loft with bedroom and bath for visitors. Also was going to have a simple garage and area for tools and gardening supply that was separate and decided it would be nicer to have an attached garage. Also a number of other increase in items since I built this home 2 years ago.

Another surprise was that Western Cedar - my first choice with a tin roof - was more expensive then the Hardy board that I used with shingles. I truly thought Western Cedar was an inexpensive choice. But this is a relatively new product I am using and suppose to have no upkeep. I did not want a brick home sitting in this wonderful nature filled area. If I had unlimited resources I would have a rock house like the English Tudor that was my home in another lifetime.

Now city home you look beautiful and are ready for that buyer.

So a little sharing this evening from One Woman - oh - when I changed my clothes I had two ticks crawling on me!!!!!!! Have to buy spray in the morning.

10 comments:

Beverly said...

Max got 24 fire ant bites over the weekend...your ticks brought that to my mind.
Things seem to be moving so fast. I hope you get a buyer for the city home....

Cloudhands said...

It sounds very exciting to me, as if you are in the home stretch and getting ready to slide into home plate. Don't know where the sports analogy came from but maybe a little 'go team, go' is in order. Have a wonderful day tommorrow.

lilalia said...

You make your grass project sound so easy, whereas it is probably back breaking.

You confusion as an aftermath of family visit is normal. Families are the strangest of institutions.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, I will be picking up insect spray this morning. Thank you Cloudhands and Lilalia the grass project is nothing. You take a bucket of seed and broadcast it as you walk and then the straw just take it from the bale and throw it out. I rather enjoy it. All of you have a great day. I am heading out at dawn and hopefully miss the showers that are predicted.

Balisha said...

Things seem to be going along quite nicely in your woods. We are all anxious to see the house, when it is finished. Be careful with those ticks...I get them once in a while in my woods.

Zabetha said...

Ticks are icky, but I was told that they really only pose a danger when they've been on you for more than 8 hours, so as long as you check yourself all over (and I do mean all over) a couple times a day, you should be OK. I spent one summer in Tennessee and I just got used to them. The chiggers though, them I never got used to! Ugh!

I agree with you about family stuff, it seems like one has "matured", grown out of childish attitudes and such, until one's family starts pushing all the right/wrong buttons. Trust family to do it to you! I suppose it's to keep you humble.

Darlene said...

Yes, Please check yourself for ticks after being in the woods. Lyme disease is no fun and I wouldn't want you getting sick now that you are so near to your happy move.

mermaid said...

I wish you well on your journey to a more quiet life. The outside world, whether it be media or family or renovations can be unsettling. I hope you are using whatever tools you need to feel settled again.

Tabor said...

I have had two tick bites already this year and hubby also two, but if removed before 24 hours the likelihood of Lyme's and other diseases is really decreased. Make sure if you start to feel fluish that you tell the doctor that you are exposed to ticks! By next year if you keep the trees and brush at bay you will have fewer ticks.

Families bring tons of memories, emotions and all sorts of stuff. I am just like you in that the visit can be perfect and I am still left with anxious thoughts or concerns! I guess it is because we love them so much we want it all perfect and it will never be.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha, Anne and Darlene, thanks for the information on the ticks.
These were still crawling and had not attached. I am being careful.
Mermaid and Tabor - thank you for your wisdom. Guess when I started out with marriage and children I wanted everything perfect.
Guess it never will be the fairy tale I wanted. But a deep peace tells me I am doing the best I can.