Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Devotion

These pictures reveal how special "Sam" was to me. 12 years later - I still miss him. Sometimes I think "no one ever loved me like Sam".

I can remember that someone I once dated made the comment "I wish you cared for me like you do that dog". No one could take Sam's place in my heart. When I called - he would stop on a dime and return to me. When I sat down he would always put his head on my lap. I still grieve over the decision I made of sending him away. The old farm home was sold and I was moving to an upscale condo on a golf course. No place for my golden retriever and it turned out - to not be the place for One Woman. What in the world was I thinking. It all happened so fast and I thought a life change would be good for me.
So many life lessons as I look back. Hopefully I have learned well.

Enough said "Sam I still miss you"

Memory from One Woman -

10 comments:

Beverly said...

You and I are so much alike....I left my dog, or my son's dog, with the stepdad. I wanted her to live on where she knew....I regret it still.

I too have moved way too much to find my place....I guess I have no place...

Judy said...

I enjoyed your picture of you and Sam and your tribute to your dog. We have all done things in our life that we might have done differently. That Ricky Van Shelton song used to describe me perfectly a few years ago. I thought there was nothing like riding in the country in a pickup truck with the windows down and I did have the music on. lol. Isn't it amazing how many life stages we go through? I don't know how you and I missed each other along the way!

kenju said...

I have dogs I remember like that, too. One from the teenage years, named Kippy, who used to wait for me to get home from school. She went to the front stairs (from where she could see out the front door) every day at 3pm, faithfully.

Tabor said...

We had to leave that little dog behind that I posted about a while back. We were moving to Hawaii and we did not for how long and then movingwe were moving elsewhere but did not know where that would be. Dog would have to spend months in a kennel until we landed at a home. So, we also left him behind.

Darlene said...

I share your sorrow at leaving your pal. I had to give up my adoring Bichon that I had loved for 11 years and I will always regret having to do so.

No human gives the kind of unconditional love to you that an animal does.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beverly, oh yes, we have a place. You are where you are suppose to be at this moment. You will know when it changes. At least I have always known. I have a strong intuitive nature.
I would not want to be in any of those past homes. Each home is a new beginning and adventure. All were special in there own way. Judy, I know we will meet someday. The joy was so strong on Monday - where is it today. I am happy but not that crazy and uplifting joy. Kenju, Tabor and Darlene - guess we have all had special pets. Thank each of you for commenting. You make me smile.

daringtowrite said...

Aw. What a sad, sad memory. I appreciate your sharing this deep and tender place.

Gilly said...

No one loved me like my Waggs! I cried for a week when she died, and I still miss her, all of 45 years ago! She was a Springer spaniel/Border Collie cross.

We were the recipients of my ex son-in-law's Cocker spaniel (English variety!) when he went to New York. Now he's wormed his way into ojur hearts. But not like Wags!!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

daringtowrite and Gilly, thank you for checking in with me. Have a great day.

Cloudhands said...

Sweet and bittersweet. Our Shepard-Collie mix Sheba was with us 14 years and was a kind and loving presence in our lives. People who choose to never know that companionship are a mystery to me.