Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Update on Woodhaven

Several people have written wanting to know how my country home is progressing.

Seems winter returned for a few days and more rain and this made my visits not as pleasurable. I loved it when it was sunny and warm and I would sit outside with my lunch enjoying the view and all that was going on.

The roofing, plumbing and electrical work was finished last week. An electrical inspection yesterday means that the insulation will happen maybe tomorrow. Today there was inspection for a drywall quote that I will probably receive tomorrow. Last week talked to a Hardy Board representative. I have had frame, vinyl, brick and a rock house. In the beginning I wanted to go to Western Cedar but because cost have sky rocketed for this material I changed my mind.
Also was concerned about the wood bees and woodpecker damage on the wood.

The city area where I now live is an old neighborhood that is being revived. Small old homes being torn down and big homes being built on small lots. Most of these homes are Hardy Board.
It looks like the old fashion frame homes and comes in many colors. It is as durable as brick and according to what has been shared it is fire proof.

So my country home is going to be this material. I am going with a taupe-gray color. Difficult to describe but it looks like the color of the bark of a tree. It will blend into the woods wonderfully.
I want it to look like it has always been there and not jump out visually when someone is driving down the country road.

At least this is my plan at present - but anything could change. This siding may be installed in the next week or two. After that dirt can be filled in around the house and I can begin to landscape. I am planting rhododendrons and azaleas in front. Will also add about 4 or 5 flowering trees surrounding the house for color.

The majority of the woods surround me are mainly just big old green trees. A lot of poplar. There is a sprinkling of a few dogwoods and red buds. Truly excites me when I see them.
I have a small area at the edge of the woods where I have been taking pieces of my plants.

The dirt is so good and this makes a wonderful garden spot. Everything is thriving and they do not act like they have even been moved from the city. In the future this may be my special meditating and prayer garden. One Woman has a vivid imagination. Guess anyone that reads my rambling already knows this. I want a small vegetable garden. All of my desires may be too much for this spring.

In front of this home will be a soybean field in a few weeks when the fields are dry enough for them to disc and plant. I want very little lawn as I have cut a lot of grass over my years of homes and gardens.

Tomorrow I will make a trip to pick out cabinets and I know I want something that fits into this nature scene. I do know I will have glass doors.

I will have wide pine floors in this home. Everything I am doing is very economical. In the beginning this was to be a cabin. Then I added a loft and then a attached garage.

All the other top of the line stuff I have had in the past and I want this home much simpler and building very cost conscious.

So that is an update on what is going on with One Woman's late life creation.

Again all is going well and the big desire at this time is for this current home to sell as quickly as possible so I can move on to another dream in what years I have left on planet earth.

I will also share the there are two things that I wish I could have that will not be a part of this home. Wish I had running water near. There are ponds on the adjoining property where I lived in another lifetime. Also there is a creek at the back of the woods that is full when it rains a lot. During the summer it is usually dry. Also wish I had a woodburning fireplace. I have had these in the past and I can no longer carry in wood or want to go through the cleaning process. Fireplace with gas logs will have to do.

I have memories of many blessings in my lifetime but I am asking for special favor and one more special blessing from my Heavenly Father. I would like to spend whatever time I can on this loved property and I want a buyer quickly for this city home.

Desire is a powerful force that can be used to make things happen
-Marcia Wieder

An entry from One Woman this sunny but very cold Wednesday afternoon

13 comments:

Cloudhands said...

Your desire to sell quickly will be a part of my morning meditations until you write that the house is sold. I will imagine you writing about how wonderful you feel about your new situation.
I have a friend who is writing a book on Angel Prayers. I wish it was available now. We have written letters to the Angel of Prosperity of the next right and perfect owners of a motor home and of a airplane kit my husband had. They were letters of gratitude that the right and perfect new owners arrived quickly and the highest good for all concerned was realized. A thank you that the right and reasonable price was agreed upon and everything proceeded easily.
Sure worked for us. Within days each time. Our friend in her book will give examples of herself, us and other folks who had good outcomes. The original concept came from Catherine Ponder in one of her early books. Can't hurt to try. And as I said I'll hold you in the light of divine order for your highest good. If that is o.k. with you.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Cloudhands, thank you so very much.
Your response touched my heart and has put a smile on my face. Please remember me.

Tabor said...

It will work out for you if not exactly on your schedule. We have less patience with certain things when we age because we realize the limitations of our time. My husband plants small trees from the Arbor Society and I want to buy the big ones knowing I may never see the small ones in their full beauty.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor I agree. There are things I would love to plant that take years to look good - so I forget.
I plant for my enjoyment at the moment. When I drive by my homes in the past I smile at the size of things I planted. The old farm home which adjoins my property has several of my past Christmas trees, a pine my mother gave me as a seedling and my old orchard.
I always plant a pear tree. I love pear preserves.

MsGraysea said...

The progress on Woodhaven is amazing and sounds so perfect for you. I love the visual of the redbuds and dogwoods amongst the large green trees. They light up the woods.
Sending you lots of positive wishes for the sale of your house to go through quickly. It will all work out just the way it should.
Cold morning here, too!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Marcia, thank you for checking in.
Oh, I dream of the ocean.

Judy said...

Hi Ernestine, Your home sounds just wonderful. I have always thought this was meant to be and truly feel your house in the city will sell. Just keep seeing yourself there and signing those papers on the other one! Hope you have a wonderful Easter.

Darlene said...

It sounds like your new home is progressing nicely. I hope your current abode sells quickly, but we all know it is not the best time to find a buyer.

Azaleas are my favorite flower, but it gets too hot and dry for them here. I planted them in my shady front planter in my old house hoping they would survive, but summer did them in.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy thank you my dear online friend for you encouraging words. This I continue to do and you do for me also. Darlene good to hear from you this morning.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Dear Ms. One Woman,
Hopefully you won't hate me for this, but I 'tagged' you in my latest post to list 7 Facts About Yourself (check the post for details.) No hard feelings if you don't want to participate - I have ignored many of these kinds of things in the past, but decided to do it this time. I picked you because you are a woman of mystery and it would be fun to learn more about you!
Blessings,
Jan
Awake is Good

kenju said...

I wish you luck in selling your home!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Jan thank you for thinking of me.
I feel I almost share too much.
I am a private person but when I type it seems I share from my heart.
I am no mystery. It is all in my journal and my continued journey will be shared. Again thank you.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Kenju thank you for the good wishes.