Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Progress at Woodhaven and New Occupants

I just returned from the country and all is going well. Everything is moving at a pace that I am pleased with. They are trying to get the beginning of the roof on in case of the rain that may come in tonight. I was glad to see the beginning of framing of my side porch. I can now visualize a little more clearly what is going to soon be a reality.
My beginning thoughts were a cabin, then a little larger, then it turned into a small home.
There was no way that I could justify a weekend retreat. That is not in my budget. Also my hearts desire has been to return to the land that I love.
Sitting in my old adirondack chair in the woods - what a thrill to see 4 bluebirds checking out the two houses that I put up on trees last Friday. The first birds I have seen and it thrilled me.
I mentioned to the contractor that I have seen no birds and his reply was that in the morning when he arrives he hears them everywhere. Guess when all the activity begins they do not stay near.
Who else but One Woman can sit in the woods that look like a war zone observing all this activity and is so thrilled. I cannot remember when I experienced such a depth of peace as I sat there eating the lunch I packed. Needless to say I just did not want to return to the city.

Some sharing this 80 degree weather afternoon from One Woman on her Continued Journey

15 comments:

Darlene said...

Your joy is palpable. I am so happy for you. I can now understand why you wanted to move to the country. You will find much peace and happiness there, I know.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Dear Darlene - thank you. I wonder at times - why does anyone enjoy reading my rambling.

Marcie said...

Ernestine,

It is beautiful. Won't it be lovely to settle in there? Watching a dream become reality is fascinating, even from the sidelines.

Tabor said...

Ernestine, my husband saw a pair of bluebirds just a few days ago checking out perches above the garden posts. We have a bluebird house near the back and I hope they find it. I am so happy for your project and having it as a home will make it much easier for others in the future. You have quite an adventure going on!

MsGraysea said...

Ernestine,
I am taking a little break tonight from all the planning for the funeral and reception and went to "visit" you first. How lovely to have a little trip to your haven on an 80 degree day. Made me feel better already! Beautiful progress and I loved seeing the beginnings of that screen porch. Bluebirds! Wow. That will be wonderful. They found you quickly.
Thank you, as always for taking us along.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Aisling, Tabor and Marcia, Thank you for the comments. You make me smile that you are enjoying my new adventure and beginning creation.
Maybe I will just sit in the woods and leave everything natural lol.
I think not - but I do not want to be as fussy and groomed as in the past. The bluebirds were a special sign to me. They truly made me smile and feel light hearted.

Zabetha said...

Lovely to see your house progressing, and it must have been wornderful to watch those bluebirds.Eighty degrees! My goodness, I won't be seeing anything like that for months!

Nan said...

You are really living the dream so many have. I'm so glad you're writing about it because it may encourage others to begin. You may have mentioned it and I missed it, but is this house a modular? And how many rooms do you plan to have? I love it that your life will be lived with the accompaniment of birdsong.

Judy said...

I just love your house! I know you can't wait to get out there to stay. I would probably be sleeping in a tent or truck or something I would be so anxious. It is going to be just perfect!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Nan I made a drawing of my floor plan. Down - greatroom with kitchen at the end on one side. The other side my bedroom, bath, closet. Utility room with door going to garage. I was going to no garage or separate but with it attached it is less expensive and will be nice in bad weather. This is all I wanted. But with children, grandchildren and occasional guest this is what I did
A stairway as you come in front door to loft area. This really turned out bigger then I thought.
A large bedroom, bath, closet on one side and then as you go up the stairs a wonderful small area with large window looking out into woods. I will exercise, read and just sit still in that area and then to the side a sloped ceiling area where I may put my computer.
The view from all windows in wonderful. Hope this gives you an idea of what is developing. No not modular just something I dreamed up like my city cottage - That has to sell.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Nan, The loft is all open with railing looking down into greatroom. This is a small home but with the high ceiling it looks bigger. Also screened porch on side and an elevated deck going out back door.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy as soon as the roof is on and windows and possibly doors installed in the next several weeks. I may stay some night.
Only night is so dark you cannot see your hand in front of you. Thats alright. Just wish for plumbing facilities but that is not far behind.

daringtowrite said...

What a paradise you are creating here. The warmer weather sounds enticing, too.

Sarah Lulu said...

It looks so pretty.

May your new home be very blessed.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Wenda and Sara Lulu, thank you for visiting me and your meaningful comments. Have a great day.