Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fried Chicken

What a thought that came to mind this morning - and of all times when I was eating my oats at breakfast time.
Does anyone fry chickens anymore? I wonder is this just an old Southern dish of the past.
I can remember when I was growing up and my parents would make trips to Tennessee from Detroit, a lunch was always packed for us to enjoy in the car. Fried chicken was always in that basket. Sunday dinners at my grandmothers this was always being prepared. When my maternal grandmother came to Detroit and took me home with her on the train - most people had a lunch basket packed. Most of them were eating fried chicken.
When I became a young mother it was a special dish. Usually prepared for Sunday dinner. I can remember at one time we had a boat and I would always pack a lunch. Why does going out on a boat make you hungry? Why does food taste so good out in the middle of the water? In the lunch basket would be - fried chicken, deviled eggs, potato salad and sometimes small pimento cheese and ham sandwiches and always something sweet I had baked. Always plenty of cold drinks and sometime lemonade or ice tea and dad always had a few cold beers tucked in the cooler.
Seems none of the family eats this way anymore. Usually grilled chicken or salmon and it has been ages since I baked a ham. We now think of this as being unhealthy.
Oh well - all I know is early this morning I was thinking of buying a chicken and frying it.
While on this subject - I might just add - I keep thinking of cooking beans in my crock pot as it would be so good to have this for dinner when I arrived home. I would make cornbread and now I have to have ham to go in those beans. There again, I have not cooked ham in ages.
I wonder if thoughts of returning to the country helped bring back the memories of eating fried chicken and adding ham to beans cooking in the crock pot?
Anyone reading this must realize that my appetite has returned. Gall bladder were you the reason I have not had much of an appetite for a few years. I have gained 3 lbs and do not mind another 5 but after that - do not want any more weight.

Some thoughts that entered the mind of this One Woman this early morning

16 comments:

Ugich Konitari said...

You know, I think the chicken is incidental. (I am a vegetarian :-)....

But I think peace is returning to your mind and body, you are thinking of comfort food and happier days. Your appetite is getting back.

That is very good news indeed. And I just read your previous post, and the house looks magical in the picture .

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You are right in your comment. As I know that at the present time I would prepare a seafood salad, green salad, fresh vegetables and fruit and some good bread. That menu was from a different time in my life and just seemed to surface in my mind. Thank you for checking in with me.

Judy said...

My mother cooked fried chicken every Sunday of her life I guess. I can't remember one when she didn't. We always had chicken at picnics. I never cook it anymore either but love it and buy it once in a while at Kroger or Walmart. I am glad your appetite has returned. You will need to be in good shape for moving and gardening, etc. at your new home.

Darlene said...

All of my life we had fried chicken or beef roast for Sunday dinner. And fried chicken was a picnic staple. I don't think that menu is a National one and not limited to the South.

I haven't fried a chicken in years and don't intend to start now. The only thing I fry now is an occasional egg.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy and Darlene isn't it funny how a thought will pop in your mind.
Now I am thinking - if I had a boat - I would make a seafood salad and lots of salad, fresh veggies and fruit.
Do not know if I will fry that chicken. Will See and I will let you know lol

Tabor said...

I love fried chicken and have not made it in ages. We do hit KFC about once a year and I have no regrets about that.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor what a surprise. I thought you would scold me. Since it is probably not that good for us and I lean towards veggies- but do like things like this occasionally. I just do not picture you eating fried chicken. I do know that the only way I really like it is when it is prepared at home.

Tabor said...

You are correct in that homemade fried chicken is the best. But even today it is hard to get a range fed chicken and those are the most delish.

Balisha said...

Hi,
Your memories of fried chicken are the same as mine. It was on our table often, but still a treat when we went fishing or on picnics. I do, however, still fry chicken. Not as often as my husband would like.
Your little house is coming along beautifully. This is so much fun...following the progress.

kenju said...

My mom used to make the best fried chicken this side of heaven, and my boyfriends would all try to wrangle an invitation when they knew she was cooking it. I made it for years, but have stopped in the last 15. Now I make oven-fried chicken. It's not quite as good, but it's healthier.

Beans in the crock-pot (with our without ham) are heavenly and terrific with cornbread at the end of a long day.

June Calender said...

When i was about thirteen I learned to help with the cooking. We lived on a farm and this meant chopping the head off the chicken, plucking it, cutting it up, and then frying it - in lard. This was lunch for my father and the cousins who were helping with haying or combining. They worked hard and ate heartily -- ending with pie, the crust also made with lard. Oh, lard added a great flavor and crunchiness!

No one cooks like that, eats like that any more, and few work that hard either. Times have changed and we've wisely changed with them. I haven't cooked or eaten fried chicken for years, the very thought of that fried chicken tightens my stomach today. But the pie crust is still a sweet, wonderful memory.

We're not only wiser now, we don't die of heart attacks at 65 as often. Times change and it's right that we change with them.

Lonely Rivers said...

Thanks so much for the birthday wish! I am loving following your progress with your sweet home. Concerning Fried Chicken: my book group tries to have a dinner that somehow relates to the book. We wanted Fried Chicken and none of us really knew how to do it, as we have been baking or grilling our chicken the healthy way. We decided to throw caution to the wind and ordered up KFC...complete with mashed and biscuits. We were one happy little bookgroup that night!

Sky said...

oh, what a walk down memory lane. i keep promising to make it for my hubby who has never had any fried chicken except from KFC (and that only rarely). being a southern girl, i know how to fy some chicken, girl! i dredge mine through a batter of buttermilk, salt, pepper, a tiny pinch of cayenne, and a beaten egg. then i pull it through flour for a thick coating and fry it. OMG! it is so wonderful. we, too, had the same "fixins" you guys did...deviled eggs, potato salad, homemade pimento cheese sandwiches! we also had pineapple sandwiches with fried chicken, a tasty sandwich which i still love.

this post made me miss the good ole days of road trips with fabulous southern food!

did you know you can buy ham bones from "honey-baked ham" for just a few dollars? there is so much ham on the bones you can use it for soups and to flavor beans or other veggies? one bone will work for several dishes because there is so much ham on the bone. i have not done this in years, but i know they are still available from tales of my southern cooking friends.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Balisha and Kenjus thanks for checking in. Yes, we have similar memories. Joan, thank you for your sharing. I have those same memories and agree that I think healthy at this time but sometimes memories just arise. Why, who knows why, I sure do not.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

June, first forgive me for putting the wrong name of Joan. Sky that is the same way I cook chicken when I have cooked it. Also thanks for reminding me of HoneyBakedHam. I forgot about this.
Lonely Rivers, I always enjoy your post. Please post more often.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Sky, how do you make the pineaapple sandwich. I have an email listed?