Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, March 2, 2009

Assessment and Preparation

I question that when a builder tells you to make out a punch list of items not up to par that it is done immediately after home is finished. I have found out that many small things you do not notice for months. Even though you walk through with an "eagle eye" you miss things.
Then I have noticed over the years that after the punch list and you notice things months later or something is not as it should be - you very seldom get them to return. Sometimes after many exasperating phone calls and you trying to be courteous they do return. Most of the time you just give up and find someone to do this work.
So now my preparation with a relatively new home to be put on the market. It has to be perfect. Noticed a few months ago a few small cracks in ceiling in great room. No big deal just part of a home settling but messy to remedy. With home building off I was able to contact the original painter of this home and he came almost immediately. So a small job but lots of dust. When weather permits the outside will be groomed a little, really does not look bad. Also windows need washing and garage straightened - and that is about it.
Back to the cracks in the ceiling.
Mud the cracks, sand the cracks, mud the cracks, sand the cracks and now paint. Also on one wall where I placed something and changed my mind I have a small area to be painted. I usually do something like this myself. Went to the paint store since there was none of this color left for me but I had listed the wrong shade and when I tried to touch it up - it looked worse.
I have been going through closets and drawers and filling several boxes for Good Will. Also straightened everything in closets, linen closet and pantry. Now whenever anything is viewed it looks nice. Also downscaled dramatically 2 years ago and things are in pretty good order. When I first started selling my homes it bothered me to have people come in and look at my homes, it almost felt like an invasion of privacy. Like my bedroom is a special retreat for me. Still bothers me but not as much. I have often had a remark passed on to me that a viewer would share that they could tell my home was a very special place to me. I think because all that I have is old. Much handed down through the years. Homes filled with memories, books, pictures and special items.
I have always been sensitive. Almost to a fault but I think after I went through a divorce years ago and sat in a courtroom alone feeling like I had been stripped naked and stones were being thrown at me, much does not bother me anymore. It did help at that time for the judge to stand up for me. I still smile and have a warm feeling when I recall what he said at that time. Justice does pervail. Things like this use to make me almost sick physically and emotionally.
I have found out and guess still finding out that time takes care of most things.

Something I found written down in one of my journals. Aging - I will become braver, less interested in opinions of those I do not cherish. I have come to realize I have little to lose, why rush, very little reason to fear or not attempt brave and important things.
Guess that is why I continue to dream and create at this time of life.

Some early morning thoughts from One Woman

9 comments:

Zabetha said...

Oh this brings back memories of getting my condo ready for sale! I had a ceiling problem too, but the real estate agent told me, let's wait and see if anyone notices. And no one did! But that was before the real estate market crashed so I guess it was still a seller's market. Good that you've already downsized!

Amazing the memories that come back of times past when you are getting ready to move on. Your divorce sounds dreadful, I'm glad you've been able to move on from that. I like the advice from your journal, become less interested in the opinions of those we do not cherish.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Anne, thank you for the input. This crack would have been noticed.
Or maybe not - may I just knew it was there. Anyway it is taken care of. Have a great day.

L. said...

You will have to let me in on your painter's secret to keeping the ceiling cracks from coming back.

Three painters later...and my pesky cracks continue to resurface!

It sounds like you have everything well thought out and organized.

Loved what you ended your post with today. Great thoughts!

xoxo

kenju said...

We have only bought one new house and I remember the punch list well. It may as well be called the "list no one ever responds to".

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Grammie, hopefully the problem has been taken care of. Kenju, one home, oh my - guess building and moving makes my creative energy soar.

Mim said...

Hi Ernestine
This was a very heartwarming post.
Thanks for sharing.
Moving is always traumatic.... no matter how short the move.
You sound optimistic.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Mim, I have to be optimistic. I made a decision and I am moving forward. I cannot look back.
Thanks for checking in.

Judy said...

Justice does pervail. I know from experience that judge was right. I have been through something like you and I know how it feels. I have also moved a lot in my lifetime and know it takes some getting ready!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Judy, thank you for encouragment.
Have a great day.