Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday Thoughts

Today is perfect for working in the garden. There has been a light rain on and off for several day. This morning cooler and the ground is damp and is perfect for separating some plants.
I am still amazed that pieces of plants from my other homes have survived and done so well on this city lot. When I dug them up I could not remember exactly what many of them were. I did remember the plants but not colors. They were hastily dug and literally stuck in the ground on this lot to see what they would do. Everything lived and now I am doing a little rearranging in the garden. Moved some plants to the courtyard in front.
I have ordered two new roses. The Knockout roses are perfect for this small garden. I have red and pink. Read somewhere there was a new yellow one just out. I ordered that from Stark Brothers plus a rose that was recommended. It was called Fairy Rose. Also have asparagus arriving soon and the garlic I planted last week looks like some is trying to emerge. This is all I can put in this small city garden. Oh my small patch of strawberries looks great. Also tomatoes still baring and I picked 10 this morning.
I am having thoughts of exspanding my garden on one side of the house. There is 20 to 25 feet wide strip the length of my property that is considered city property but I maintain. There are two medium size Magnolia trees that I saved during building . I added 3 dogwoods, pine tree and a holly bush.
I have just come in the house for lunch and have decided I have all I can take care of. I will not begin putting plants on that side of the house. Oh it would be beautiful but One Woman with home, garden, spending time with granddaughters and her new love of journal entries has no more time.
I am trying very hard to keep my appointment in 2 1/2 weeks off of my mind.
I have a spot on my lungs that was discovered last March. I was suppose to go back in 6 months which was September and have postponed long enough. I feel no different and have no signs of any breathing problem and have never smoked so this is positive. But I dread the cat scan and meeting with the doctor afterwards.
So I pray that the good Lord will allow me many more healthy years that are filled with wisdom and time for my children and grandchildren.
Enough rambling for this day. Need to eat lunch. Leftover chili from last night. I am going to sit outside and eat.
Some thoughts from this One Woman on her Journey Through Life.

11 comments:

Tabor said...

First, I am sending good vibes that your doctor's appointment will go well. Get in there and get it done. You have the courage and odds are that is is not going to be as bad as you are trying to not imagine. I know exactly what you mean about plants when you are in a hurry and have to just get them in the ground. My lopsided garden is now because of my fear of deer and so I started first close to the house with everything. Note that the Knock-outs get big and take up room.

MsGraysea said...

Positive thoughts for your lungs and you!! Just do it before fear takes a toll. It will be OK!
Thank you for the "tour" of your garden. Your words brought me right there. So happy to hear you have been getting some rain. You had a long wait.

Gail said...

Ernestine,

Hello...It sounds like you are keeping busy and enjoying our good weather. Sometimes I go into the garden and I am full of ideas and want to expand and add on. Then I buy bulbs! I can add the bulbs without adding more to the already a lot to take care of garden! The garden is a wonderful place to take our cares. It can help us connect to the earth and to ourselves...it sounds like you have that figured out! Stay in the moment when every you can. Worry is not a good place to be for too long. No bromides...it's scary waiting!

gail

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor, Marcia and Gail thank you from the bottom of my heart for the positive encouragement.
I am signing off early as I am heading for the country at 7:30 in the morning. Taking my camera. Maybe I will see something special.

Ugich Konitari said...

I get a sense from this post that you are a person very closely connected to earthy things. Trees, nature,gardens, care of plants, the company of a favourite grandchild, and the smile of another.

Please dont worry about your doctors appointment. A lot of these scans and X-rays are not really necessary, but technology and insurance requirements often decree something nature doesnt understand.

A garden doesnt stop being great and healthy because it has some different clumps of soil here and there. Things change with age.

Wishing you great mental peace and not to worry...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Ugich Thank you from the bottom of my heart. What beautiful words.
You described me perfectly.

Darlene said...

I, too, am sending good thoughts your way and hope the diagnosis is minor.
You are such a hard worker. I could never do half what you do. I admire your gardening skills.
Have you tried a Queen Elizabeth rose? It's my favorite and makes such beautiful cut flowers.

Mim said...

Hi There,
I need to get caught up reading your blog. With the construction and Bailey sick I just had little time this week to do my reading.
Your fall sounds great.
Mim

Beverly said...

Ernestine, I am glad you are going to the doctor...I hope everything is ok...please do not worry, be strong.

Marcie said...

Ernestine, I tried to comment on this post two times the other day. I'm trying again. Just letting you know I am thinking of and praying for you as you face your appointment.

hugs,
Aisling

Nan said...

I'll be thinking of you and praying all is well. I think Ugich is right - a lot of the tests done now are to protect themselves. I think if it had gotten worse, you would have had some symptoms.