Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, October 13, 2008

Nanie's Platter

Mother gave me this platter years ago. It was my great grandmother's. For a few years I used it. At special times like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then I became reluctant to use it for fear it might be broken.

Every since I can remember my mother called her maternal grandmother "Nanie."
Her name was Elizabeth and she was called Bettie.

Mother would spend summers with her grandmother. To hear my mother talk about it, she was the favorite.
Even though mother had an older sister we called Aunt Bea. Summers were spent with her grandmother where mother was forbidden to go out in the sun without a bonnet or parasol. A tan was not welcomed at that time. My mother in her younger pictures was beautiful with a flawless creamy complexion. She was very fair and had blue eyes.
Oh, the pictures of my mother and Aunt Bea, dressed in such beautiful dresses. It looked like such finery to me and still does.

I remember when our family was on a trip to Nashville and stopped by Nanie's home in Louisville, Kentucky, how impressed I was.
A beautiful red brick home with a front porch with white rocking chairs on it
I was the little girl with the young parents and we had everything we needed but nothing extra. Times were difficult for my parents. Another story at another time!

Memories of the fine dining room and I remember the starched tablecloth and the table set like something my young eyes had never seen. Beautiful china, glassware and silver, I was so impressed. I still remember we had fried chicken, bowls of mashed potatoes and vegetables and a special desert.

Oh, she even had help.
A black lady with a starched apron.
Mama used to share that this lady kept a straw in her ear "sometimes" when the earring was not present. I remember when I was small and would hear this I thought it was funny.

Nanie had beautiful rings on every finger and daily wore a cameo pin on her dress.
Mother, also gave me this pin. I wore it several times years ago on a suit lapel. It came with a long gold chain. But I am almost fearful to wear it for fear that I might lose it.

I have so many pictures that I will post at a later date. Pictures with horses and a carriage and such finery. Mother many times said she had "blue blood". Oh my.

Nanie was named, Elizabeth (Bettie) Wilson Ratcliffe - August 25, 1868 - August 6, 1956

She was married 4 times and her last marriage was to George Washington Hartgrove. All of her husbands met an early death. My great grandmother was a nurse and loved to sew. I was told she always had something in her hands to sew, crochet or tatting. My mother shared this same talent. Both of them made beautiful quilts. Sewing is a talent that was not passed on to me.

They had one child and that was my grandmother Roberta Ellington - 1896 - 1987.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Ernestine, My mother was called Nannie and I do not sew either. I love the platter. I, too, have many things and pictures passed down to me. Great post.

Liza on Maui said...

I love the platter and the memories that go with it - what a precious memento

Jessi Cotterill said...

It's so nice to hear that just one platter can recall such beautiful memories.

MsGraysea said...

Very beautiful words to take us right along for a visit with you.
I have a cameo, platters, silver, and stemware from my grandmother and greatgrandmother. I treasure them and try to use them often. Now when I am setting my table with these things, I see my grandmothers hands in mine. I loved her so much that it makes me very happy to be "morphing" in to her.
Thank you!