Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Saturday, August 16, 2008

THROUGH MY EYES



One by one they will arrive at my door. At noon today it was my grandson Gavin with his dad, my soninlaw. He will be joining his sister at Vanderbilt later in the week. They arrived from Massachusetts last night. A break is being taken from setting up all that has to be done when you are entering college for the first time. There he stood at the door. All 6ft and a little under 3 inches of him. He hugged his 5ft2 grandma and the tears filled my eyes. I thought you are still suppose to be my laughing little boy.
Same boyish grin, clear blue eyes, blond hair with a tint of auburn, squeaky clean complexion and on and on. I looked at him and once again thought "time you are surely racing - or am I standing still".
What an adjustment for my grandson who is an avid skier and loves the winters in the North. Here he is in the hot South. But ski time will come on winter breaks when he visits his boyhood home and friends in Massachusetts.
In a couple of days my middle granddaughter Sarah will arrive home from Aspen, Colorado. She excels at playing the French horn. Her goal to play in a symphony.
If I am any judge of talent - it is going to happen.
She has been spending part of the summer at music camp. She will be home for a few days and then on to Northwestern in Illinois. Hopefully I can have lunch with her one day before she leaves. Next to arrive is my oldest granddaughter Jessica. She will be getting ready for her 4th year at college. What a summer she experienced. A few weeks in Brussels to visit a school friend. Then worked for summer at home in Massachusets. She has decided to follow a law career like her father.
So when I think of these 3 older grandchildren, thoughts surface in my mind of what an exciting future is ahead for each of them. Then these 2 little ones that I spend time with each week come to mind and I again cannot help but smile. These grandchildren will give me a lot to think about in the months to come.
So time you continue to rush by as I spend my days tending the dirt in my city garden, reading, journaling and with my eyes and heart I will behold their lives unfolding.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Hi Ernestine, I know you have enjoyed seeing and visiting with your older grandchildren and also the time spent with the younger ones. I only have the one but I am sure each one is so special in his own right. You sure do have good looking children and grandchildren.