Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Monday, August 4, 2008

The Robot

I love this vacuum. I have two of them and I guess the twins are about 48 years old. I can remember when I moved to my farm home that I always had one upstairs and one downstairs. Not much was said about my trusty helpers until my youngest daughter went off to college. When she would return and I would want her to help me - there were always comments - why don't you get rid of these old vacuums and buy another one. They are not picking up. I have had the cords replaced twice and both times were told they are working great!

I can remember when Debbi (the young lady from the Netherlands) was visiting in the Spring. She came to my home one day and the vacuum was sitting on the floor. She commented, what is that. I told her my ancient vacuum. She almost laughed out loud and commented "it looks like a robot." I thought to myself maybe that means it looks new and modern!!!

This morning while Caitlin was with me I brought the vacuum out. She looked at it with her hands on her hips and a smile on her face and said "grandma what is that"? So my vacuums must look unusual.

From time to time I look at new models. I notice they look like they are not made out metal like my helpers and when I view the price tag I think to myself, why replace my two trusty helpers.

Sometimes I wonder when my days are ended which one of my children will be hoping for these two treasures. But then maybe it will be a granddaughter. I doubt it!!!

Another morning on my Journey Through This Life.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

We live in such a throw-away society that I wonder when the younger generations will realize that there is no more "away' to throw it!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Tabor I agree. I love my old "things". I remember when my toaster quit working about 10 years ago. Was told it could not be repaired. It was a wedding gift from working friends at Ford Motor Company in Detroit, Michigan where I worked as a secretary.

Beverly said...

my first husband, the father of my children, worked at Ford Motor Credit Co in Memphis from about 1970-72???
Love my old vaccuum, it is Electrolux and I got it in 1978??? Stillworks

Judy said...

My toaster is over 20 years old and works great. It even does 4 slices at a time. I think someone in my family has a vaccuum just like that one. I have seen it somewhere.