Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Friday, August 22, 2008

Am I In The Wrong Place!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I am spending more time on the computer I am increasingly aware of my dial-up system. It is slow and phone line is busy. Phone line does not matter because I receive very few phone calls. Most of family use email. The slow process of what I have does bother me. So a few weeks ago I began checking into the specials that are being offered for fast speed internet.
Finally made a decision and I am pleased at the cost. It is very little more then I am paying now and a new cell phone part of the package.
The new phone (to replace my 5 year old cell phone) was received in the mail yesterday. Some of family will be coming on Sunday and my soninlaw at that time will upgrade my computer. I think I lost some of my independence when I acquired a computer!!!! I was told to activate this phone was very simple. Scanned the instructions last night before going to bed. I should not have!!! Woke at 3:00 this morning with it on my mind and just got up. Finally put phone together and I call to activate and it will not activate. So between talking to an operator in Canada and her instructing me for one hour it is working. Seems the Sim card in the new phone was faulty. When I finally was able to remove the card from the new phone it seemed there was tape stuck on it and I had difficulty reading the numbers. So I had to remove the card from my old phone (because it was good). Could not get the back off of phone and then could not get the card out. The whole time she is telling me what to press and to find some tweezers to see if I can pull the card out. Finally card out and installed in new phone. Here I am with my landline phone on, my new cell phone on and trying to get the back off the old cell phone. I began to get very weary and not too happy. I told her I was cancelling this whole idea of new phone and upgrading computer.
Bottom line is that when it was all finished and working well - all through this process she kept encouraging me and telling me I was doing fine. When it was completed she shared that most people just gave up and took it to the phone store. I do not want to leave out that this lady was so kind and thoughtful through this whole process. I kept mentioning that this process was taking so long. She would say I am here with you and will see you through this. When I asked if she was local she replied "I'm in Canada". So her kindness this early morning makes me smile.
So up since 3:00 AM and finally late breakfast and breathing normal.
Thoughts surface that I am on a road to simplification. How can this be a simpler lifestyle.
I cannot have my computer unless I have a phone line. I would rather just have my cell phone. I do not want a television. Must have a basic cable plan to activate this in the city. I have an old television that I sometimes watch the weather and in the winter there may be a special that is worth looking at on those long winter nights.
So I have a television I do not want. A land phone I do not want. Now computer to be upgraded and I wish I could do this. So this stresses me this early morning.
I think I will cancel land phone, cell phone, tv and computer and build a small cabin and move to the woods.
That is where my heart resides

I'd rather be a forest than a street. Yes I would. If I could, I surely would.
I'd rather feel the earth beneath my feet. Yes I would. If I could, I surely would.

Paul Simon "El Condor Pasa"

10 comments:

bert said...

Hello Ernestine

I don't have TV either. I don't think I need one. Where we live is very remote. There's no phone line. We have to use a satellite for the internet (a phone is included but very delay). People here don't have a clue what internet is. They have a very simple life. Anyway, computer and internet can keep you busy. I read news and weather forecast, chatting with friends, find information, get connected with people through the internet. I can't imagine my life without the internet. Nice meeting you here. Blog more and I'll read them.

Jessi

Jessi Cotterill said...

sorry, Ernestine

I mistakenly used my husband's gmail account to write you the first comment. I was uploading gardening pictures for his picasaweb.

Anyway, it was the same old me, Jessi.

Cheers!!

Beverly said...

Ernestine, so sorry for your troubles...glad the lady from Canada got you through it... My son only has a land phone for his security system. I loved and it brought a smile with the song verse....

clown princess said...

I'm with you, the cabin sounds perfect and the song is one of my favorite.

Tabor said...

I must admit that I do love my TV and the ability to tape those shows I like and watch them when I want. I do love my PC and my cell phone...having written all that I can so empathize because you do have to pay your dues both financially and in time to use these tools. I am waiting for the time when I don't need both a cell and a land line during an emergency.

Judy said...

I bet if you get fast speed internet you will love it. I hated the internet when I was on dial up.It was so slow and I wasted so much time just sitting waiting on something. Anything I want to know, I run to the computer to look it up. That seems so much simpler than using an encyclopedia. Even if I need a recipe, I will look on allrecipes.com.
The idea of a cabin in the woods sounds great, too, but I would want my computer!

lilalia said...

Good for you for sticking to challenge. Once the computer DSL line is up and running your life will become easier. I think it is one of the craziest things that companies expect us to install and configure our Internet connect systems. It is outrageous. They don't expect car owners to change distribution boxes or electrical systems in our cars, why do they think we can do it with our computers?

Nan said...

What a great post, Ernestine! I'll bet most of us have been there. Sometimes I think of just chucking the whole thing, but then I think of the terrific pleasure I get from reading people's thoughts, looking up things, getting email, on and on. We don't have tv anymore, and just watch dvds from Netflix, one of the pleasures of our lives. You will love your high speed internet. Even though I whine about our satellite internet connection, it is still a million times better than dial-up. I couldn't do anything online with it. Which leads me to a rant of sorts. Those rural locations, like ours, are really losing out in the world. It is like a discrimination of sorts because people who might want to live here, and run a business have a hard time without fast internet. It seems to me it should be like phone lines with access for everyone.

L. said...

Hi Ernestine...I linked to your blog through Beverly's blog....and, I am so glad that I did.

You are a wonderful writer....and I love your thoughts on simplicity.

Ahhhhhh.
I'll be back...
: )

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I landed here via earth heart..my thoughts are the same! I just got sort of i speed thru Wild Blue, not what I was hoping for. No DSL available here.
I love your blog, your thoughts on life!
I've been looking for a cabin..no technology, get completely off te "grid". That would be ideal for us!