Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Aging And I Cannot Deny It

First thing each morning I read Ronni at www.timegoesby.net. This morning she had a list of books on aging. I have read the majority of them. Trying to figure out if I am doing it right!! Since in my past I walked to a different beat of the drum and took the road less traveled a lot of what is shared I do not relate to but lately a lot of it speaks to me.

These two quotes spoke to me.

It is our presence that is important to the young. They want us to be there. Not in their homes, perhaps, not watching them with a baleful eye as they go about there daily work. But there. We reassure them that life continues, and if we listen, we ensure them that it matters to us that it continues.

Aging particularly in the later decades is a drawing in, encounters with the world diminish for many reasons. The solitude of old age is often pleasurable. There is peace and a sense of the present.

So my children and grandchildren, I am here, but not under your feet.

I have to agree that my solitude is very pleasurable and I love my world. Just me and Miss Sadie.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice going, learning the links. A little at a time, we get there. I knew you would...

Ronni

Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Thank you for linking me to the other blog. I will check it out. Most important though is the quote about our presence for the young. One of our children (age 47) lives here and it is a balancing act to be sure. The other child (age 44) lives for two more years in Europe and that is another balancing act. Now that I read this again, life is a balancing act forever!

Elderwoman said...

All these old dogs, all learning new tricks every day. I'm proud of all of us.

Tabor said...

I guess that wanting solitude has been the worry I have. I have always thought that retreating into oneself is not healthy. But, now that I know it is probably natural I will not dwell ont he why of those days I am so happy to be one my own.

Nan said...

Beautifully expressed. I know that my kids, as they get older, really love remembering things from the past. They'll bring up stories that we all share, and I love seeing the delight in their eyes -the way we are all part of the same history, the same life. We are so very 'here' for them. I think in many, many ways parents are as important to older children as younger ones. I've always liked solitude and quiet probably because I'm an only child.

Eve said...

Good thoughts and I agree but we do need to come out of our cave and enjoy life a bit more with other people. We need to stay involved. I just made a post about this on my blog. If you want to check it out, it is called "Gonna Fly Now"...the blog is "Traveling on Fumes"

Renie Burghardt said...

What a lovely blog. I am glad I found you. I agree that solitude is pleasurable, and at age 71, I relish it, for who knows how long it will last. But my children and granchildren know I'm here, and the animals know as well. :-) And I have a best friend to have little adventures with. Life is good!

I love your blog, and will be back.

Smiles and Blessings,

Renie

Judy said...

I love these quotes. I do think that our children want to know that we are there for them but not underfoot. Mine always call to ask my opinion on something even if they don't follow my advice. It pleasures me though to know they ask and consider what I have to say. I, too, love my solitude at times. My children love to remember things from the past and hear about their childhood, too.

Liza on Maui said...

You are aging so gracefully and in style (a grandma who blogs - how cool is that!)... solitude a thing to cherish.

Carolyn said...

I am having a Giveaway Contest.

Stop by my Blog for details!

http://thebarberbunch.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-giveaway.html

Carolyn