Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Good - Bad and Thankful Day

I left home very early this morning. I was headed for my old homeplace. I had a couple of stops along the way and on to my friend's home.


She has been in this home about 6 months. The home is a duplicate of the one I built not far from her country home. I drew the floor plan.


These are twins that I have such a bond with. They will be 79 this November.


The refrigerator was filled with all kinds of food left over from a shower that they hosted on Sunday.


A quick lunch was enjoyed.


Then the main reason for my visit - the corn arrived.


There is nothing like the first corn of the season that has been pulled about an hour earlier.


I brought 4 dozen ears home with me. Also a half of watermelon just out of the field.


It was a delightful day.


I headed home and as I was pulling out of the small town my car alerted me that I had a low tire.


I was so thankful that I was just minutes from where my car was serviced regularly when living in this area.


My car showed 96 degrees and I had a car full of corn that needed to be refrigerated.


The moment the mechanic came out to check the air in my tires


I saw the problem...a nail. Where in the world did I pick this up? Especially since the about 6 weeks before I had 3 nails in my tires.


To make a long story short, he repaired my tire and I headed home.


So very thankful all the way home. All I could think of - what if.



What if I was on the highway and had a flat in this heat? It surely would have upset me.


So, again. I am very thankful.


The corn is in my son's freezer. Since he rarely uses it and left for Thailand yesterday.


Still in the air, over the water.


Mom wishes him a safe journey, a good visit and a safe trip back to his family.

2 comments:

kerrdelune said...

Ernestine, we are still waiting for our Lanark Highlands corn to ripen, and how I do love fresh corn on the cob. In the interim, the strawberry crop this year has been amazing, and we are munching fresh strawberries.

MsGraysea said...

What a nice day, even with the tire issue....fresh corn, friends and watermelon sound very wonderful to me! We have to wait until August for corn in MA but it is worth the wait.
Peace to you!