Books by the old Leather Chair

  • Snow In The Summer
  • My Bible
  • The Power of Silence
  • What Comes Next and to Like It
  • Encore Provence
  • A Year in Provence

Thursday, June 12, 2008

First Spring Garden in the City


Current garden.

Gardening at my last home.

I have always had a garden, or rather, since starting over and moving to the country over 30 years ago. I dreamed about it before that time but with a house full of children and working there was not the time for me to do this.

I went from high style living in a large English tudor home, with the country club membership, travels, etc., you get the picture, to my beloved 100-year-old falling down farmhouse. I oversaw its restoration to all of its original glory and added some glory of my own.

My true love which I could finally indulge in was gardening. From that home to others I created there was always a flower garden. I would take cuttings from my plants to each home and they all seemed to survive.

I am now in my smaller retirement home that was finished about a year ago. To the small yard I brought my cuttings once again. IN a corner, “as an experiment,” I planted a small kitchen garden. I had no idea if anything would grow.

This morning at 6 a.m. as I watered I could not help but feel so thankful for what I saw. Two zucchini plants that are at least 3 feet around that have yeildd seven so far for my stir fry and zucchini bread. Yellow squash plants full of blooms Onions are being harvested. A dozen small tomato plants that have at least a dozen small tomatoes. A row of lettuce that has been a picture.

As an experiment I planted a five foot row of green beans and now beans are hanging on the vines. My six strawberry plants and my blueberry bush had fruit, but the birds feasted on them before I could grab for my cereal. The grapevine on my picket fence is thriving. My two hills of cantaloupe are not as big as I would like, but it may be th heat. The same thing for the cucumbers and pepper plants.

This fall I will plant some asparagus and next spring a few hills of potatoes. I will have the beginnings of a compost pile, too.

All this in the middle of the city! A mini version of what I have created before…a garden for one. All flowers are an amazement to me. They survived the move and seem to love their new home. Eight clumps of daylilies…I can’t wait to see the colors. I dug them up last spring and they did not bloom, so I have no idea what they will turn out to be, but they will be beautiful.

So again this lady who once lived in a big house and worked in the business world, whose favorite magazine was “Organic Gardening,” is feeling so blessed that one of the desires of her heart, gardening, has been fulfilled.

Many times people have commented, “You must have a green thumb.”

No, but I have dirt in my veins. I am truly amazed at what I witnessed this morning in all of its glory.

The first spring in my new home.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow!

(I love your garden hat, by the way.)

Beverly said...

You have dirt in your veins, I have dirt under my nails. I wish I had some of your sun.

Love your writing. I need an undate on you.....I'll send you one on me.

Darlene said...

The hard work you have put into your garden is surely paying off, Ernestine. A by product is a nice trim body. Gardening is also good exercise. ;)

When that asparagus is ready to be picked I will pop in for a taste. Along with artichokes, that is my favorite vegetable.

Renee said...

How beautiful! Both gardens are impressive, and so relaxing and eclectic:)

I love gardening. My style is use what I have and I am put flowers where I think they would look ok. It is very country and free flowing. I could spend so much time in the garden. I love it!

So glad I stopped on by.

Renee~

Marcie said...

Ernestine, I love this post about your gardening history. I would do exactly the same thing in a city yard; squeeze in all the green and growing things that I could. A real sense of joy comes through this post as you write about your harvest and your garden for one.